google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

‘Sitting ducks’: rain-hit region’s flood gauge concerns

Grazers in a rain-soaked region have become “sitting ducks” as they brace for more severe weather, leading to calls for more federal flood gauge investment.

Queensland Premier David Crisafulli fears grazers will be caught off guard after another round of heavy rain is forecast in the north-west following former Tropical Cyclone Koji.

Graziers complained that flood gauges linked to the Bureau of Meteorology’s website were offline in the area recently hit by monsoon rain, triggering devastating flooding.

Floodwaters killed more than 50,000 animals; Numbers are expected to rise as Koji’s remnants slowly move across the northern interior on Wednesday.

“What concerns me the most is that a lot of these basins are already so full and the small amount of rain that they would normally handle is causing some really complicated problems at a really difficult time,” Mr. Crisafulli said.

“My other fear is that in many cases, they are caught off guard because they don’t get the information because there are no rain meters in much of the countryside.

“And that leaves them sitting ducks.”

The Prime Minister called for more federal investment in flood measurement to ensure grazers receive accurate data at critical times.

“I want to thank the people who work in the office … and recommit my efforts to helping provide them with the resources they deserve,” he said.

Grazier Ashley Gallagher, owner of Sawtell Station near the bay town of Normanton, said four nearby meters were out of service and he had no information before the latest deluge.

“The Norman River runs right through the middle of my property so it’s vital you know what’s going to happen,” he told AAP.

“We need to know how to move them (livestock) and move them to higher ground.”

Mr. Gallagher said it was difficult to say how much stock he had lost and he might not know until the end of May.

“These gauges didn’t work last year and no one bothered to fix them,” he said.

“I spend a few hours on the phone talking to people upriver to see what’s going on.”

A bureau spokesman said there were more than 4500 rain and river gauges in Queensland, about a third of which were owned by the bureau and the rest mostly by local and state governments.

“There are more than 70 organizations that own and manage flood warning infrastructure in Queensland,” the spokesman said.

“Due to the size, scale, complexity and multiple purposes for which meters are available, the status of the flood warning network is always changing.

“In addition, during major flood events it is not uncommon for gauges to be damaged, for example, by floodwaters or debris.”

The spokesman said the bureau does not rely solely on indicators and also uses satellites, radars, soil moisture estimates and weather forecasts to issue flood warnings.

As the Northwest braces for more rain, clean-up has begun in central Queensland after the former cyclone triggered flash flooding and scores of rescues.

The country town of Clermont was isolated at one stage after suffering the wettest day in its 110-year history.

Major flood warnings remain in place for the Lower Flinders River and the Georgina, Connors-Isaac and Mackenzie rivers.

Nearly 1,000 properties were still without power late Tuesday, and 24 local governments had stepped up for disaster recovery funding.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button