google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

‘Threats’ before explosive device discovered at rally

Serious threats were made to the Occupy Day protest before a man allegedly threw an improvised explosive device into the crowd, organizers said.

Thousands of people were evacuated from Forrest Place in Perth city center on Monday after police found an object designed to “explode on impact”.

The 31-year-old man, whose identity has been withheld due to fears for his safety, appealed to the court regarding the incident and continues to be detained.

Rally organizer Fabian Yarran said threats had been made against the event ahead of the incident.

“The rally had already received numerous serious threats, but due to lack of communication from the police, these were not addressed appropriately,” he said in a social media post.

“This failure put organisers, participants and the wider community at risk.”

Police said the suspect took the alleged explosive device from his bag and threw it into the crowd from the first-floor walkway before attempting to escape.

CCTV footage shows a man in dark clothing throwing an object with his right arm in a crowded area lined with retail stores.

The device was later found to be a homemade IED with spikes and metal ball bearings attached to the outside, containing a mixture of volatile chemicals.

Police said it was just luck that the bomb did not explode in a crowd of 2,500 people.

Mr Yarran also criticized the police response when the object was discovered following a tip-off from the public.

“There was a significant lack of communication between WA Police when the device was discovered, leading to confusion and unnecessary concern,” he said.

“There was never clear, timely or transparent communication with the rally organisers.”

He said police urgently need better training on how to communicate with rally organizers in a culturally appropriate way.

“These are complex, high-risk events that require senior leadership, accountability and oversight,” he said.

The defendant is charged with unlawful act or omission with intent to cause harm and making or possessing explosives under suspicious circumstances.

He did not apply for bail when he appeared in Perth Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday and his case was adjourned until February 17.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button