‘Time for calm’: Protest restrictions lifted across Sydney

NSW Police have lifted restrictions on protests a week after protesters took to the streets of Sydney during a visit by Israeli President Isaac Herzog.
Speaking to reporters, NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon said the declaration ended shortly before 10am on Tuesday morning.
He called on people to continue “safe and peaceful” demonstrations.
“Even though the public gathering restriction declaration has been lifted today… I want the community to think about and respect others,” he said.
“It’s still time to calm down.
“We want to ensure that public safety is on the side of the people’s assembly and we will work closely with the organizers to ensure this happens.”
He said the ban was lifted following the departure of Mr Herzog, who was on a four-day visit to Australia following the Bondi Beach terror attack that killed 15 innocent people and injured 40 others.
“With Mr. Herzog leaving the country, I am satisfied that circumstances have changed and we can continue to conduct public meetings under the Summary Offenses Act,” Mr. Lanyon said.
Chaotic scenes emerged on the streets of Sydney last week as thousands of protesters demonstrated against Mr Herzog’s visit.
More to come

