Tomato tariff: US slaps 17 per cent on Mexican imports

The US government said that after the negotiations ended from the agreement to prevent the tariff, most of them have given 17 percent of fresh Mexican tomatoes.
The US Commercial Department announced in 2019 that an anti-Damping task investigation on tomatoes from Mexico was withdrawn from an agreement that was suspended.
The Ministry of Commerce said that anti-dumping tasks are calculated to measure the percentage of Mexican tomatoes sold in the United States “unfair prices”.
On Saturday, President Donald Trump, a large trade partner of the United States and negotiations lasted for weeks, after a comprehensive trade agreement, starting from August 1 threatened to implement a 30 percent tariff for imports from Mexico.
Mexico’s Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Economy did not respond immediately to comments.
Mexico said he was sure that he could renew the tomato agreement with the United States in April. Washington said he intended to withdraw from the agreement in April.
In order to allow producers to compete fairly, the agreement, which issued Mexican tomato exports to the USA, was first shot in 1996 and finally renewed in 2019 to prevent an anti-Damping investigation and to terminate a tariff dispute.
US Trade Secretary Howard Lutnick said, “For a long time, our farmers have been crushed by unfair trade practices that upset pricing on products such as tomatoes,” he said.
Tim Richards, a professor at the Morrison School of Arizona State University, said the US tomato retail prices will probably rise around 8.5 percent.
Jacob Jensen, a trade policy analyst at the American Action Forum, a right -leaning policy institute, said that the areas that trust more trust in Mexican tomatoes can see the price increases close to 10 percent, because it would be more difficult to replace this supply.
According to official figures, Mexico exported tomatoes to the United States last year, the majority of $ 3.3 billion ($ 5 billion).
With AP
Australian Associated Press is a beating heart of Australian news. AAP has been the only independent national Newswire of Australia and has been providing reliable and fast news content to the media industry, the government and the corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.

