google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Canada

These are the most viral stories of the week

Article content

From local and provincial news, Canadian politics, the latest in sports, outrageous entertainment offerings, the Toronto Sun always has you covered.

Advertisement 2

Article content

There are stories, however, that are more newsworthy to the masses than others, or that you may have missed.

Article content

Article content

If you want to keep up with those at the watercooler or on social media, read on to see what stories everyone was talking about this past week:

Lindsay homeowner vs. intruder

A homeowner in Lindsay, Ont., is facing assault charges after he allegedly defended himself against an intruder on Aug. 18, prompting many to ask the same question: Why is he being charged?

That’s right, a document filed by Kawartha Lakes police says Jeremy David McDonald, 44, is charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon after he allegedly “did endanger the life” of 41-year-old Michael Kyle Breen.

McDonald’s lawyer said his client was acting within his rights to defend himself.

Article content

Advertisement 3

Article content

Naturally, the story blew up in the ensuing days, making its way to outlets in the United States where in some states, you can shoot at someone who accidentally pulls into your driveway.

Nevertheless, one of the perplexed people here happened to be Ontario Premier Doug Ford, who was asked about it during an unrelated press conference and said couldn’t believe how “broken” our system is.

An Air Canada plane gets a pushback from its gate at Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport in Dorval, Que., on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025.
An Air Canada plane gets a pushback from its gate at Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport in Dorval, Que., on Tuesday, Aug. 19, 2025. Photo by Christinne Muschi /The Canadian Press

Air Canada flies again

Oh, what a difference a week makes.

After more than 10,000 Air Canada and Air Canada Rouge flight attendants walked off the job on Aug. 16, prompting the cancellation of many flights, the airline and the union representing its flight attendants reached a tentative deal three days later.

Air Canada is set to announce a new policy in which the company would cover “certain transportation expenses” incurred by customers while getting to their destinations during the work stoppage.

Advertisement 4

Article content

By Friday, the airline had ramped up its operations and was operating close to its full network schedule.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

Loading...

We apologize, but this video has failed to load.

(Shane) Bieber Fever

Think of it as Bieber Fever 2.0, or in the case of Shane Bieber, Bieber Fever Blue Jays style.

Three weeks and a day after he was acquired, Bieber made his Jays debut in the series opener in Miami.

It was a highly anticipated date for all parties as the right-handed starter and former Cy Young Award winner returned to the big-league mound for the first time since April 2, 2024 after undergoing — and rehabbing from — Tommy John surgery.

For Bieber, the stakes were high. For the Jays, they felt even higher — but, alas, it was all good as Toronto took the first of three and Bieber was in fine form.

Advertisement 5

Article content

Jean formnove
Jean Pormanove is pictured in a profile photo on his X account. Pomorove shoop /X

Death of French streamer Jean Pormanove

The death of a French internet personality during a 12-day livestream resulted in an outcry from many and authorities in France to open up an investigation as authorities probe allegations of abuse.

Raphael Graven, 46, known as Jean Pormanove on social media, died on Aug. 18 during a live broadcast on the Kick streaming platform that had been running for nearly 300 hours.

His death came as a judicial investigation was already underway into reports that Pormanove was regularly subjected to physically and verbally abusive behaviour on past livestreams.

Drake and online streamer Adin Ross are teaming up to cover the funeral expenses for Pormanove.

“This is horrible and disgusting. Whoever was a part of this deserves to face severe consequences,” Ross wrote on Xwho added that he spoke with the Toronto rapper and they decided they wanted to help.

Advertisement 6

Article content

“This won’t bring his life back, it’s the least we can do,” he added. “Prayers go out to Jean’s family.”

Read More

Carney’s olive branch to Trump

Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Friday that Canada will drop some retaliatory tariffs on American products to match U.S. tariff exemptions for goods covered under the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA), which will take effect on Sept. 1.

It was a “very good” phone call between Carney and Donald Trump that prompted the move, which the PM confirmed the President assured him his actions would help kick-start trade negotiations with the U.S.

So what does that mean?

For starters, Carney said Canada and the U.S. have re-established free trade for the vast majority of goods. But Carney also noted Canada will retain tariffs on steel, aluminum and autos as it works with the U.S. to resolve issues.

Until the next phone call…

Article content

Related Articles

Back to top button