Hamas claims it cannot located remaining hostage dead | World | News

Hamas says it has returned the bodies of two more Israeli hostages as part of a US-brokered ceasefire deal, but the group claims it needs more time and special equipment to rescue the rest of the dead from the rubble-covered ruins of Gaza.
According to BBC News, Hamas’ armed wing said in a statement that although it was committed to the agreement, it could only return the bodies of the hostages it could reach.
Trump warns Israel could resume war if Hamas doesn’t uphold deal
US President Donald Trump warned that Israeli forces could reignite the conflict in Gaza if Hamas does not comply with the terms of the agreement.
The Israeli Prime Minister’s Office has confirmed, through the Red Cross, that coffins containing the bodies of the hostages have been received, and these coffins are currently awaiting official identification.
The following statements were included in the statement: “IDF calls on the public to act sensitively and wait for the official identification, which will be first communicated to the families of the deceased hostages.”
The fate of 19 hostages in Gaza is still unknown
If the two bodies brought back on Wednesday night are confirmed to be hostages, it would mean 19 people are still missing in Gaza. Under the first phase of the Gaza peace plan, Hamas is obliged to return all 28 dead hostages.
However, Hamas’s armed wing claimed in its statement that “serious efforts and special equipment are required to search and recover the remaining bodies, and we are making great efforts to close this file.”
Israel vows not to compromise on hostages return
Previously, Israel had stated that it would “make no concessions” regarding the return of the hostages and insisted that “the mission was not completed”.
Israeli defense minister Israel Katz said he had instructed the Israel Defense Forces to prepare a “comprehensive plan” to defeat Hamas in Gaza if the war continues.
After a meeting with top generals on Wednesday, Katz said the military should be ready to act if Hamas refuses to implement the peace plan.
UN chief calls on Israel to open Gaza crossings for aid
On Wednesday, UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher called on Israel to immediately open all crossings to Gaza for humanitarian aid, as outlined in the ceasefire plan.
Fletcher said in the X post that Hamas should “make a concerted effort to return all the bodies of the deceased hostages.”
He added: “They should allow the massive flow of humanitarian aid – thousands of trucks a week – on which so many lives depend and which the world so desperately awaits, as Israel has acknowledged.”
Gazans fear ceasefire will not last due to rising food prices
Meanwhile, Gaza residents state that their concerns about the permanence of the ceasefire are increasing, and that food prices have increased due to Palestinians stockpiling supplies.
Traders and suppliers in the area are hoarding foodstuffs to create shortages and increase profits, fearing a resumption of fighting, locals told the BBC.
Neven Al-Mughrabi, a displaced mother of six who currently lives in Khan Younis, said: “Every time we start to feel safe, new threats emerge and we fear the war will start again.”
He added that a trader in the main market of Khan Younis said demand for flour, oil and sugar increased within hours. “Despite the sudden rise in prices of about 30%, people are buying as if they do not trust that the calm will last long, everyone is afraid that the aid will stop,” says Neven.




