‘Without precedent’: Virtually all news outlets reject restrictive Pentagon press policy

WASHINGTON— Extraordinary New policy from the Ministry of Defense This approach equates basic reporting methods with criminal activities. Revolt among Pentagon journalists This could deprive the country’s largest agency and the world’s largest army of its press corps.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth’s new policy marks a dramatic departure from historic standards at the department that previously required authorized reporters to sign a simple, one-page document that included security protocols.
In its place is a 21-page agreement that warns reporters against “soliciting” information, including non-classified material, without official permission from the Pentagon and calls people who do so a “security risk.”
Lawyers for the media organizations said the policy would force journalists and media outlets to refrain from publishing any material not approved by the military, a clear violation of 1st Amendment protections of free speech.
Major news organizations such as the New York Times, Washington Post, and Wall Street Journal, as well as right-leaning publications such as Newsmax and the Washington Times, refused to sign the document; Only one far-right outlet — the One American News cable channel — has agreed to do so.
Terry Tang, the newspaper’s editor-in-chief, said the Los Angeles Times would not accept this policy either.
One rare joint statementABC, CBS, CNN, Fox News and NBC said the policy was “unprecedented and threatens core journalistic protections.”
“We will continue to cover the U.S. military as each of our organizations has done for decades, upholding the principles of a free and independent press,” the news organizations said.
But Hegseth, who has aggressively pursued leaks and negative news sources since the beginning of her tumultuous tenure as secretary, has doubled down in recent days by posting emojis. saying goodbye on social media Media outlets published statements condemning this policy. Journalists were given until 2pm PDT on Tuesday to sign the document or leave their credentials.
It is unclear whether the Pentagon will continue this policy, leaving the secretary without a roving press corps to highlight his official duties or public events. It’s also unclear whether President Trump would approve the extreme measure.
Asked last month whether the Pentagon should control what reporters collect and write, the president said “no.”
“I don’t think so,” Trump said, adding: “Nothing stops reporters.”
The widespread riot sparked a show of solidarity among the White House and State Department correspondent corps, who in a joint statement Monday called the Pentagon’s policy an attack on press freedom.
“Access to the Pentagon has never been easy for journalists,” the statement said. “The public has the right to know how the government conducts the public’s business. Unrestricted reporting on the U.S. military and its civilian leadership provides a service to those in uniform, veterans, their families, and all Americans.”
Beyond restrictions on media outlets, the Pentagon has taken a number of steps this year to identify officials deemed disloyal or providing information to journalists.
Pentagon in April He dismissed three former senior officials following an investigation into potential leaks regarding military operation plans. That same month, Hegseth’s team began subjecting officials to random polygraph tests; this practice was temporarily halted after the intervention of the White House. According to Washington Post.
Later in October Pentagon prepared its plans revamping the use of polygraphs and requiring thousands of staff to sign strict non-disclosure agreements that “will prohibit the disclosure of non-public information without consent or through a defined process.” The confidentiality agreements contain language similar to what reporters were asked to sign by Tuesday.
In particular, many of Hegseth’s plans to target leakers were leaked to news outlets, likely contributing to the defense secretary’s doubts about who he could trust.
The timing of their efforts is also notable; because they gained traction after he personally shared sensitive details about upcoming attacks in Yemen in a private Signal group chat. mistakenly included a reporter from The Atlantic. Hegseth also shared information about the attacks. a separate Signal conversation involving his wifeA former Fox News producer who is not a Department of Defense employee.
Hegseth denied that any confidential information was shared in the chat. Still the situation led to an internal review Whether the statements violate DoD policies.
The Pentagon has taken a more aggressive approach to restricting journalists’ access than the White House, which months ago took control of press operations from the White House Correspondents’ Assn. An independent group that has organized the White House press corps for decades.
Still, the White House has refrained from making changes to the briefing room seating chart, removing outlets from workspaces within the White House complex or revoking press passes after facing a legal challenge at the beginning of Trump’s second term over an attempt to block a major outlet (the Associated Press) from covering some presidential events.
Meanwhile, Trump continued to highlight the channels he disliked, one by one. On Tuesday, for example, the president refused to take questions from ABC News because he said he didn’t like how a news anchor treated Vice President J.D. Vance.
“You are ABC’s Fake News,” Trump said in a public speech at the White House. “I don’t take questions from ABC’s fake news!”




