google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Family of teenager shot dead obtain ‘significant’ settlement

The family of a Catholic teenager shot dead by the British Army 48 years ago reached a “significant” agreement in a compensation case in the High Court.

Michael Neill was killed under controversial circumstances on Cliftonville Road, north Belfast, on 24 October 1977.

The 16-year-old boy was reportedly shot three times while trying to escape from a military patrol in the area.

According to allegations at the time, he was near an attempted bus hijacking.

But his family insisted he posed no threat to the life or safety of either the soldier who shot him or anyone else at the scene.

The inquest into his death the following year resulted in an open verdict.

Michael’s sister, Mary Griffin, sued the Ministry of Defense (MoD) for negligence, trespass and misconduct in public office over the circumstances surrounding his death.

The trial of the civil case was due to begin at the High Court in Belfast on Monday.

However, Ms Griffin’s lawyer, Desmond Fahy KC, announced that a settlement had been reached on confidential terms requiring no admission of liability.

“This marks the end of a long process and journey for the plaintiff,” he told the court.

Praising the family, Mr Justice Rooney said: “This was clearly a difficult case for all the relatives and it would make sense if it could be resolved amicably.”

The trial of the civil case was due to begin at the High Court in Belfast on Monday. [PA Media]

The family’s lawyer, Padraig Ó Muirigh, said in a statement that the result was reached after weeks of negotiations.

“The confidential nature of the agreement prevents me from disclosing the terms,” he added.

“However, I can confirm that the settlement is significant and our client is satisfied with the outcome of this case.”

Ms Griffin confirmed the family was happy with the decision reached during their “long journey”.

He said: “Our brother was a lucky young man who was taken from us too soon.

“Almost 50 years after his untimely death, he is on our minds every day.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button