google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Nigel Farage ‘categorically’ denies racially abusing fellow students at school

Nigel Farage has insisted he “categorically” did not racially abuse other pupils during his time as a student at a top private school.

It comes after more than a dozen former students who studied with Mr Farage at Dulwich College in south London accused him of making anti-Semitic and racist remarks in reports originally published by Farage. Guard.

The Reform UK leader appeared to leave open the possibility that he may have made “unintentional” racist remarks during an ITV interview on Monday night. When asked about the allegations, he said: “I would never do this in a way that was hurtful or derogatory.”

Nigel Farage denies claims he made highly offensive remarks to other students (PA Wire)

But in a prepared statement on Tuesday, he denied making such comments and suggested the allegations were politically motivated.

“I can say categorically that I did not say the things that were published in the Guardian as a 13-year-old nearly 50 years ago,” he said in a statement.

“Isn’t it interesting: having been in public life for 32 years, I am probably the most scrutinized person in British politics.

“Many books and thousands of stories have been written about me, but only now that my party is ahead in the polls are these allegations coming to light. I leave it to the public to draw their own conclusions as to why this might be.”

“We know the Guardian wants to smear anyone who speaks out on immigration. But the truth is that I have done more in my career, from the day I took on the BNP, to defeat extremism and far-right politics than anyone else in the UK.”

Speaking to ITV on Monday night, the Reform leader was asked about allegations of deeply offensive behavior throughout his teenage years.

“That’s 49 years ago, by the way. Forty-nine years ago. Have I ever tried to take that pain out on anyone based on where they came from? No.”

Mr Farage went to Dulwich College in London

Mr Farage went to Dulwich College in London (Getty)

Asked to categorically deny engaging in racist abuse, Mr Farage said: “I would never do it in a hurtful or derogatory way.”

While questions about the allegations continued to be asked, he responded: “I just entered puberty. Can I remember everything that happened at school? No, I can’t.”

“Have I ever been part of an extremist organization or participated in direct, unpleasant, personal harassment, actual harassment on that basis? No.”

Asked whether he had been involved in racist abuse at school, Mr Farage said: “Not deliberately.”

When asked to elaborate, he replied: “No, I never directly, actually tried to go and hurt anyone.”

Mr Farage added: “Did I say things 50 years ago that you could interpret as playground banter, which you could somehow interpret in today’s modern light? Yes.”

Asked if this meant he had abused people, Mr Farage said: “I have never been directly racially abusive towards anyone. No.”

Lord Mann, the government’s independent adviser on antisemitism, responded: “Nigel Farage’s appalling attempt to dismiss serious allegations of antisemitism and other egregious forms of racism as playground banter is as insulting as it is incredible.

“Farage needs to do the right thing and come forward to the British public about the full extent of his past behavior and apologize to those who have bravely come forward to share their deeply distressing and disturbing experiences.

“The British people expect all party leaders to act with honesty and humility and will not forgive those who choose not to do so. Nigel Farage must confront the seriousness of this situation and apologize personally.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button