google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

‘Justice’: pressure ramped up for anti-Semitism probe

22 December 2025 03:30 | News

The opposition has put forward plans to set up a broad royal commission to investigate anti-Semitism in the run-up to the Bondi massacre, including the scope of investigating attitudes towards Israel.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has so far rejected calls for a federal investigation into the attack, which killed 15 people and led to Australia’s worst massacre since the Port Arthur murders in 1996.

But in an effort to increase pressure on his government, the coalition released its own terms of reference more than a week ago for an investigation into Monday’s attack on anti-Semitism and Hanukkah celebrations.

15 people were killed in the Bondi attack, Australia’s worst massacre since 1996. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)

The Opposition’s investigation will examine the roles of Commonwealth and state governments and institutions, as well as civilian institutions such as the media, education and cultural sectors, in relation to antisemitism and their potential contribution to the terrorist attack.

The proposed terms of reference include “the nature, prevalence and drivers of antisemitism that led to the Bondi Beach attack in Australia…including antisemitism based on race, religion and attitudes or behavior towards the state of Israel.”

Pro-Palestinian activists have often sought to separate their criticism of Israel for its attack on Gaza following Hamas’ attacks on October 7, 2023, from any anti-Semitic activity targeting Jews.

Opposition Leader Sussan Ley said the prime minister’s response to Bondi’s horror was suggestions that were “too little, too late and would take too long”.

“Unless the Prime Minister confronts the causes of the Bondi massacre with honesty and determination, the victims of this terrorist attack and their families will be denied the justice they deserve.”

“Bondi is what happens when hate is tolerated and warnings are ignored.”

Opposition Leader Susan Ley
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley criticized the prime minister’s response to the Bondi massacre. (Mick Tsikas/AAP PHOTOS)

NSW has announced it will set up its own royal commission into the tragedy, which Premier Chris Minns says will be the most significant event in the state’s history.

Mr Albanese said federal agencies such as ASIO would co-operate with the NSW investigation, but refrained from launching a national investigation on the grounds that it would take too long to complete.

Instead, he announced Sunday that there would be a rapid review of intelligence and law enforcement capabilities.

The report, carried out by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet and led by former ASIO boss Dennis Richardson, will not examine whether the government had adequately responded to rising anti-Semitism before the attack.

Independent MP Allegra Harcama, whose federal electorate includes Bondi, called for a formal, independent investigation to ensure the attack is not repeated.


AAP News

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.

Latest stories from our writers

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button