google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Pope urges US and Cuba to engage in sincere dialogue

Pope Leo stated that he was deeply concerned about the increasing tensions between the United States and Cuba and called for “sincere and effective dialogue” to prevent violence and further suffering of the Cuban people.

US President Donald Trump said last week that tariffs would be imposed on imports from countries that supply oil to Cuba after the US overthrew Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, Cuba’s key ally, in early January.

Trump said the tariff threat was “necessary to protect U.S. national security and foreign policy from the malicious actions and policies of the Cuban regime.”

Pope Leo said he had received reports of “great concern” about rising tensions between Cuba and the United States.

In his comments following the weekly Angelus prayer, he joined Cuban bishops in calling on “those responsible to encourage sincere and effective dialogue to avoid violence and further suffering of the Cuban people.”

Last week, Trump predicted that “Cuba will go bankrupt very soon,” adding that Venezuela, once the island’s largest oil supplier, had not sent oil or money to Cuba recently.

Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodríguez declared an “international emergency” in response to the US tariff warning, which he said posed an “unusual and extraordinary threat”.

On Saturday, Trump reiterated his call for Cuba to negotiate with the United States.

“This doesn’t have to be a humanitarian crisis,” he told reporters aboard Air Force ‍One en route to Florida.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button