Prince Harry’s team ‘sent private investigator a death threat’
Victoria Region
A private investigator has claimed that a member of Prince Harry’s legal investigation team made a death threat against him.
Gavin Burrows is a key witness in the British Supreme Court privacy claim against the publisher. Daily MailHe said he was so afraid for his safety that he wanted to testify from a secret location abroad.
The judge was told that he would refuse to do so if his hiding place was shared with lawyers for both parties.
Burrows’ controversial “confession” to illegally collecting information on journalists between 1993 and 2011 is at the center of the case.
He claimed a key witness statement in which he admitted targeting “numerous private individuals”, including Prince Harry, by hacking phones and bugging cars was “prepared by others without my knowledge”.
He described the document as “completely false” and said his signature was a forgery.
Five of the seven claimants, including the Duke of Sussex, Sir Elton John and Baroness Doreen Lawrence, told the High Court they were taking high-profile legal action against Associated Newspapers Ltd based on evidence apparently obtained by Burrows.
The court heard on Tuesday that the alleged death threat was made against him via voicemail on behalf of Graham Johnson, a former tabloid journalist and convicted phone hacker who worked as a key legal investigator and investigator for the plaintiffs.
Burrows said he was prepared to share the recording of the relevant message as evidence.
However, Dan Waddell, a member of Johnson’s team, said he “acknowledged that the voice on the recording belonged to Gavin Burrows”.
David Sherborne, in a testy exchange with Judge Matthew Nicklin on behalf of the plaintiffs, claimed Burrows had effectively held the court “to ransom” by placing conditions on his participation.
He said the alleged security fears were “completely bogus” and the approach was “highly unorthodox”.
The lawyer argued that Burrows should be prevented from giving evidence if he did not disclose his location.
Witness ‘must state location’
He said the plaintiffs had been put in a “bad” situation but had the right to know the whereabouts of the witness so that justice could be served, and he took part without interference or coaching.
Antony White (KC) of Associated Newspapers Ltd said he had been involved in cases for which evidence was received from abroad during the lockdown and “even had a berth on the south coast”.
The judge seemed incredulous that Sherborne could try to prevent such an important witness from giving evidence.
He said there was “no dispute” that Burrows’ evidence was crucial to the plaintiffs’ case and should be tested in open court.
He eventually agreed to ask the State Department whether there was any legal reason why Burrows could not provide evidence from abroad.
The court previously heard Burrows was accused of assaulting Johnson and making two threatening calls to him over a dispute over payments.
Burrows allegedly visited the former journalist’s home while drunk, verbally threatened her and pushed her in the street while Johnson’s partner and children were at their home, prompting Johnson to call the police.
Meanwhile, Burrows told the court that Johnson had contacted him. Author post On the eve of the hearing he made a statement described by one news site as “a blatant attempt to intimidate him”.
Previously, US-based private investigator Daniel Portley-Hanks admitted to “doing illegal things” on behalf of the US. Mail Journalists were concerned about Prince Harry but “couldn’t remember exactly what happened”.
The 79-year-old man said he works regularly. Daily Mail And mail on sunday He had been living in a five-bedroom house with US$150,000 ($213,000) in the bank for more than 20 years.
“I probably made $1 million from this mail on sundayhe said.
Work ended after ethical investigation
He claimed that following the 2011-2012 Leveson Inquiry, business dried up and he was forced to declare bankruptcy.
He described himself as a “database keeper” who had access to contact information and other private details, but told the court he had always believed his job was legitimate until recently.
Portley-Hanks said she was once asked a question. Mail The journalist wired money to a former police officer in Florida, who in turn forwarded the money to a current official to gain access to confidential files on Jeffrey Epstein.
White said the documents were obtained from “evidence in the public record” in civil cases involving Epstein.
He said Portley-Hanks’ evidence “lacks any specificity that would be expected to support such serious allegations”.
Portley-Hanks also described for the first time how Epstein’s victim, Virginia Giuffre, was tracked to Australia, where she ran a cupcake shop.
She was interviewed and shared the now infamous photo of herself posing with Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, which triggered the beginning of her downfall.
Associated Newspapers is a subsidiary of Lord Rothermere’s holding company, the Daily Mail and General Trust, which has agreed to buy the London Gazette. Daily Telegram For £500 million ($976 million). The proposed acquisition is expected to undergo regulatory review in the coming weeks.



