Jana Nayagan Producers Plan to Withdraw Case Against Censor Board Soon

Chennai: The makers of actor-turned-politician Vijay starrer ‘Jana Nayagan’ have written to the Madras High Court Registry informing them of their intention to withdraw the case filed against the Censor Board, official sources said on Monday.
Sources added that the matter was listed for withdrawal before Justice PT Asha on February 10, following a letter from KVN Productions’ lawyer Vijayan Subramanian requesting the petitioner to allow him to withdraw the case.
By deciding not to continue the court battle, the filmmakers have made it clear that they will now wait for the Revisions Committee to decide and act accordingly.
The producers had previously claimed that the film was not given a Censorship Certificate even though changes were made upon the instruction of the Censorship Board.
On January 27, the Madras High Court set aside the decision of a single judge, Justice Asha, which had directed the CBFC to issue a censorship certificate to the Tamil film “Jana Nayagan” starring Vijay.
The First Bench, comprising Chief Justice MM Shrivastava and Justice G Arul Murugan, stated that the single judge should give time to the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) to file a counter-affidavit. The CJ-led Bench had said that some references to the Army and religious sentiments had to be taken into consideration.
The board gave KVN Productions the freedom to change the prayer and approach the single judge to hear its defense early.
The film, which was initially scheduled to release on January 9 ahead of the Pongal festival, will reportedly be Vijay’s last film as the chief of the fledgling Tamilaga Vettri Kazhagam (TVK), which he founded in 2024, as he prepares to contest the Assembly elections in April.
Justice Asha accepted the petition filed by the film’s producer on January 9 and directed the CBFC to issue the censorship certificate immediately.


