google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Julio Iglesias says accusations he raped two women who worked for him are ‘absolutely false’ and denies ‘abusing or disrespecting any woman’

Spanish singer Julio Iglesias has denied harassment allegations made against him by two former employees and said the allegations are ‘absolutely false’.

The 82-year-old man wrote on his Instagram account on Friday morning: ‘It is with deep sadness that I respond to the accusations made by two people who previously worked in my home.’

‘I deny harassing, coercing or disrespecting any woman. ‘These accusations are absolutely unfounded and make me deeply saddened.’

He added: ‘I’ve never felt anything this bad, but I still have the strength to tell people the whole truth and defend my honor against such a serious accusation.’

The singer also thanked the “very valuable people” who sent him messages of support.

One of the most successful Latin artists of all time, Iglesias is a Grammy winner with sales of more than 300 million albums in a career spanning decades.

He is also the father of best-selling pop singer Enrique Iglesias.

His comments came after two women, a domestic worker and a physical therapist, alleged they were subjected to sexual and physical abuse while working at Iglesias’ properties in the Dominican Republic and the Bahamas in 2021.

Spanish singer Julio Iglesias denies harassment allegations

Julio Iglesias is the father of best-selling pop singer Enrique Iglesias (pictured)

Julio Iglesias is the father of best-selling pop singer Enrique Iglesias (pictured)

The allegations were published in a lengthy report shared by Spanish news outlet el.Diario on Tuesday; here women were referred to by the pseudonyms ‘Rebeca’ and ‘Laura’.

Advocacy groups Women’s Link Worldwide and Amnesty International said a complaint submitted to Spanish prosecutors on January 5 listed alleged acts that could be considered the ‘crime of trafficking for the purpose of forced labour’ and a ‘crime against sexual freedom’.

Iglesias reportedly subjected them to “sexual harassment, regularly checked their cell phones, restricted them from leaving the home where they worked, and demanded they work up to 16 hours a day without days off,” according to testimony compiled by the two groups.

Rebeca claimed that Iglesias frequently called her to his room and sexually assaulted her, penetrating her anal and vaginal areas with his fingers without her consent.

She said: ‘He used me almost every night. ‘I felt like an object, a slave.’

Laura told the Spanish newspaper that the singer kissed her on the mouth and touched her breasts without her permission.

Iglesias' former manager said he was 'very affectionate' and enjoyed 'physical contact' but insisted he had never seen the music icon 'acting aggressively'

Iglesias’ former manager said he was ‘very affectionate’ and enjoyed ‘physical contact’ but insisted he had never seen the music icon ‘acting aggressively’

The allegations against the popular singer sparked strong reactions in Spain; Members of the left government supported the complainants and demanded that the investigation reveal the truth.

Alberto Nunez Feijoo, head of the conservative opposition People’s Party who is a friend of Iglesias, told Telecinco television on Wednesday that he was “very, very, very surprised” but urged “not to speculate.”

Meanwhile, Madrid Community president Isabel Diaz Ayuso defended the singer, writing about X: ‘The raped and assaulted women are in Iran with the complicit silence of the far left.’

‘Madrid Community will never contribute to the discrediting of artists, even the most universal singer Julio Iglesias.’

Iglesias’ former manager, Fernan Martinez, told Telecinco that he was “very affectionate” and enjoyed “physical contact”, but stressed that he never saw the music icon “acting aggressively”.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button