google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Activists face arrest in rally against Israeli leader

6 February 2026 13:05 | News

Thousands of demonstrators are preparing to defy protest restrictions by rallying against the Israeli president’s contentious visit to Australia next week, as police warn activists face arrest.

Ahead of Isaac Herzog’s five-day tour, rallies have been held in every state capital across the country, including a major protest in Sydney on Monday.

But the organizers’ proposed protest route – from City Hall to NSW Parliament House – was banned under a declaration that allows police to refuse to allow public gatherings in key parts of the city.

Acting Deputy Commissioner Paul Dunstan warned protesters they could be arrested. (Paul Braven/AAP PHOTOS)

NSW Police instead called on the Palestine Action Group to come to the table and move the rally to an approved site.

“We don’t want to end up in a situation where we had a significant number of people at City Hall on Monday evening enforcing the declaration,” acting deputy commissioner Paul Dunstan told reporters on Friday.

“This situation can and probably will result in arrests.

“This situation can easily be avoided by consulting and working with us to ensure protest activity in the right area at the right time.”

Mr Dunstan suggested protesters march from Hyde Park to Belmont Park along a legal route used on Sunday.

Legislation hastily passed in the NSW parliament following the Bondi attack gave police the power to prevent NSW residents from seeking permission for rallies following a declared terrorist incident, leaving participants vulnerable to arrest for obstructing traffic or pedestrians or marching in the streets.

About 4,000 people are expected to attend Monday’s rally and 500 police will be deployed to police the march.

While all visits by heads of state are well-monitored, Mr Dunstan acknowledged there had been “a little more attention this time”.

The Israeli president was controversially invited to Australia by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese after gunmen opened fire on a Hanukkah event at Bondi Beach on December 14, killing 15 people.

Memorial service for Bondi massacre victims
Isaac Hertzog was invited to Australia to support the Jewish community following the Bondi massacre. (Dean Lewins/AAP PHOTOS)

He is set to meet with federal politicians as well as those affected by the terrorist incident.

But protesters and human rights experts called for the invitation to be cancelled, arguing that Israel is guilty of starving and bombarding Palestinians in Gaza.

Mr. Herzog has previously said the Palestinians took responsibility for the Hamas attack on Israel on October 7, 2023.

The United Nations Human Rights Council commission of inquiry in September found that this statement could reasonably be interpreted as incitement to genocide.

Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles said the president would be a “welcome and honored guest” in Australia.

“It’s really important for the Jewish community in Australia in the wake of the Bondi massacre to have an Israeli president here who is the equivalent of our governor-general,” he told reporters.

“He will be treated with all the dignity and respect he deserves.”

But even some within Labor ranks do not want to roll out the red carpet for the Israeli leader.

NSW Labor supporter Sarah Kaine said she would attend the protest due to concerns about the visit, while federal supporter Ed Husic said he was “very uncomfortable” with the tour.


AAP News

Australia’s Associated Press is the beating heart of Australian news. AAP is Australia’s only independent national news channel and has been providing accurate, reliable and fast-paced news content to the media industry, government and corporate sector for 85 years. We inform Australia.

Latest stories from our writers

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button