ASA rules rape kit firm Enough misled public with exaggerated claims

Enough, a company that markets self-swab kits for rape victims, was found to have significantly exaggerated and misled the public about the effectiveness and context of its products.
The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) upheld three complaints against the firm, finding in particular that the claim that the kits could be used in rape cases was misleading.
Sure enough, statistics on the prevalence of rape and its likelihood compared to cancer have been misrepresented and exaggerated.
The ASA’s decision follows a complaint by Sir Martin Narey, who previously chaired Barnardo’s and the prison service.
It comes after Conservative shadow protection minister Alicia Kearns used parliamentary privilege on Monday to tell MPs that Enough had sent legal threats to a woman who raised concerns, as well as a rape crisis charity.
Ms Kearns said the verdict showed Enough had “lied” to victims and the firm had engaged in “exploitation under the guise of empathy”.

Enough said it respected the decision but, despite criticism, raised the estimated number of rapes annually from 430,000 to 500,000. He said his methodology had been approved by the Advertising Practice Committee.
He stood by his claim “in principle” that the kits could be used in rape cases.
Enough claimed on its website that evidence collected through the company’s self-sampling kits could be used in court, and said unnamed KCs, a former director of public prosecutions and a former police chief, supported those beliefs. A ROK said it was “reasonable” the kits could be used.
However, the investigation by the ASA found that KC’s claim that this claim could be used was not “sufficient” support for his claims. The ASA also said it had “seen no evidence” that other lawyers supported the company’s view.
The National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC), the National Center on Violence Against Women and Girls and the Public Protection (NCVPP) and the Commissioner for Victims and Rape Crisis warned against their use in a joint statement at the end of March.
“These kits can create false expectations, lead to re-traumatisation and reduce trust in legal services,” said Chief Constable Sarah Crew, NPCC’s head of adult sexual offending.
The report said Enough claimed, in response to the ASA’s investigation, that despite self-fabricating swab kits to collect a preparer’s DNA, “(Enough’s) aim was not to direct more people into the criminal justice system, arguing that most survivors do not want this.”
The ASA said: “We have not seen any evidence that DNA evidence collected using Enough’s kits would be considered admissible in a rape case.”
The ASA said Enough breached advertising rules for misleading advertising, evidence and exaggeration.
The ASA also said the firm had misled the public and falsely proven claims that 430,000 people are raped every year and that women are more likely to get cancer if they are raped.
Enough said it produced this figure by using figures from the Office for National Statistics for England and Wales for 2024 and extrapolating the figures based on estimated levels of underreporting.
Data from the Office for National Statistics published in January revealed there were 74,174 rape offenses in 2025. This was a 5 percent increase over the previous year. This accounts for 34 percent of all sexual crimes.
But it is acknowledged that rape is widely underreported.
Enough said he also used figures from Cancer Research to support his claim that women are 2.2 times more likely to be raped than to develop cancer.
The ASA found that a report published by the ONS in 2020 showed that it included people who were victims of “assault by penetration”, which inflated the estimated figures.
The organization said: “We recognize that not all rapes are reported to the police and that the actual rape figures are likely to be significantly higher.
“We also recognized that, given the prevalence of non-reporting, it would be difficult to identify actual annual rapes and felt caution should be exercised in making such claims.”
The following statements were included in his decision: “The advertisements should not appear again in their current form.
“We have told This is Enough Ltd (trading as Enough) not to state or imply that evidence collected using self-testing kits is admissible in court unless they have sufficient evidence for these claims.
“We also told them not to make claims about rape cases or the number of women raped unless they have sufficient evidence.”
Ms Kearns said: “Today’s verdict demonstrates what I have been saying for a long time: women and girls have been lied to enough.
“They told survivors their kits were admissible in court. There is no hard evidence of this. They told us 430,000 women are raped in the UK every year. That’s three times the ONS figure. They told our girls they were more likely to get cancer than not. This is disgraceful fear mongering designed to sell a product.”
“These kits are not empowerment; they are exploitation disguised as empathy. They alienate survivors from the police, from rape crisis centres, from professionals who could actually help them find justice and begin to heal. One case has already collapsed because a victim trusted one of these kits. This is the real-world consequence of Enough’s false promises.”
“They sell lies, including that self-swab rape kits will deter rapists. It’s not my job as a woman to deter rapists, nor is it my job to tell them I have a swab kit at home that will stop them from raping me.”
“I will not stop until these kits are removed from the market and removed from our college campuses. Survivors deserve the truth, professional support, and justice, not a product that monetizes their trauma and destroys their chance for justice in court.”
Ciara Bergman, chief executive of Rape Crisis UK, welcomed the decision.
He said: “Victims of rape and sexual abuse, and indeed the general public, should always be provided with clear and accurate information about the products advertised and sold to them.
“This should include providing them with quality-assured, legally acceptable, forensic medical examination and treatment following rape and sexual assault, as well as independent and specialist services such as Rape Crisis Centres, free of charge.”
Sir Martin accused Yeter of putting pressure on journalists, rape crisis charities and students.
He added: “Ms Kearns deserves huge credit for highlighting the untruths in the Enough ads that were criticized by the ASA, which, following complaints made by me, instructed Enough not to repeat these lies.”
A spokesperson for Enough said: “Enough was created to address the ‘do nothing’ gap – the fact that most survivors never come into contact with the police or SARCs, meaning potential evidence and opportunities for support are often lost entirely.
“We have always made it clear that police and SARCs (Sexual Assault Referral Centres) remain the best and most comprehensive option where survivors feel they can access them. It is available as a sufficient additional option for those who otherwise choose to do nothing.”
Rape Crisis offers support to those affected by rape and sexual abuse. You can call them in England and Wales on 0808 802 9999, in Scotland on 0808 801 0302 and in Northern Ireland on 0800 0246 991 or visit their website at: www.rapecrisis.org.uk. If you’re in the US, you can call Rainn at 800-656-HOPE (4673).




