At least 160,000 to be cut from NDIS amid concerns vulnerable people will be left without care | National disability insurance scheme

At least 160,000 people are expected to be excluded from the national disability insurance program by 2030 as the Albanian government tries to claw back savings by changing who can access the program.
Health minister Mark Butler announced a major overhaul of the $50 billion program on Wednesday, announcing that the growth rate would be cut to just 2% each year until 2030 in a bid to curb annual plan inflation and save billions.
The government will significantly increase the categories of providers required to register by adding higher-risk activities, including personal care, daily living supports, and supports provided in closed environments.
But the opposition, the Greens and disability advocates have warned that vulnerable Australians could be left out of the program with nowhere to turn for support and services.
Speaking at the National Press Club in Canberra ahead of the May 12 federal budget, Butler said unannounced changes to eligibility rules would reduce the number of people using the program from a forecast of 900,000 participants to around 600,000 by 2030.
There are currently around 760,000 people in the scheme, meaning at least 160,000 people will no longer be able to access the NDIS within four years.
“These are difficult decisions, but they are inevitable and urgent,” Butler said.
Instead of costing more than $70 billion by the end of the decade, the NDIS budget will be reduced to around $55 billion.
“The cost of the NDIS is very high and growing very quickly, along with any similar government programme,” Butler said.
“And if we don’t take action to make this sustainable, it won’t happen in the future for the Australians who need it most.”
The cost of the plan rose by more than 10.3% last year and was on track to cost $63 billion by 2028-29. Without changes, it was expected to support more than 1 million participants by 2033 and reach $95.8 billion in 2034-35.
‘Significant’ impacts feared
Martin Laverty, one of the architects of the NDIS design and boss of disability provider Aruma, said the changes would be significant.
“Directly engaging disability accommodations, plan management and support coordination will be a game changer,” he said.
But George Taliban, chair of the Every Australia Matters campaign, said the move to reduce NDIS registration numbers and increase registration requirements was extremely worrying.
“The promise of the NDIS was that disabled people would have the support, choice and control to live ordinary lives in society, and that promise should not be broken.”
The changes are likely to spark a new war of words between states and territories and face opposition from disability advocates and the Greens.
Greens leader Larissa Waters has vowed to fight Labor in parliament.
Waters said: “How dare this government, which promised not to cut the NDIS, balance its budget by selling out the dignity of disabled people?” he said.
Queensland Disability Minister Amanda Camm said costs would be shifted to the states and this would happen “with very little detail and again very little consultation”.
He described the NDIS as a “runaway train”.
“Our state and other states and territories will pay the price for the failures,” he said.
Bill Shorten, the former NDIS minister and politician responsible for its creation in the last Labor government, said new support mechanisms were needed for people excluded from the scheme.
“To be fair to the current government, we spoke to tens of thousands of people in our initial review and it was clear that the NDIS cannot be the only lifeboat in the ocean.
“There are a lot of well-intentioned people in the states. They’re paranoid about cost shifting, and I think that’s true, they have their own budget issues, but I think what we need to do is not start with the budget issue, although that’s always very important, but start with what’s in the best interest.” [of] people with disabilities.”
Shadow NDIS minister Melissa McIntosh welcomed provider registration and digital payment but said more work was needed to stop fraud. Labor has not yet consulted the Coalition on the changes.
McIntosh warned that vulnerable people cannot be left uncared for.
“Mark Butler has said that every single participant in the NDIS needs to be re-assessed, so does that mean there’s someone on a breathing tube or someone who needs a feeding tube? If that’s where we’re heading, I think that’s pretty unfair.”
“If there are potentially hundreds of thousands of people coming out of the NDIS, where will they go?”
Guardian Australia revealed earlier this month that Labor had quietly set up a razor gang to make budget savings on the NDIS. The taskforce at the health department, led by former Treasury official Anthea Long, was launched following a national cabinet meeting on January 30.
Queensland has yet to sign an operating agreement for the new Developing Children program, which will start in October. This program, announced by Butler in August, is designed to support children with autism and developmental delays.
The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) warned this week that organized crime gangs were using the scheme to launder money, generate revenue and hide assets, seriously undermining the integrity of the $50 billion scheme.




