Ballymena riots: Teenagers accused of rape that led to protests have charges dropped

Charges of attempted rape against two teenagers who sparked widespread race riots in Northern Ireland have been withdrawn.
The boys were charged in connection with the alleged serious sexual assault of a teenage girl in the Clonavon Terrace area of Ballymena in June.
The incident sparked days of race-related anti-immigration riots in Ballymena, with sporadic outbreaks of related violence in other parts of Northern Ireland.
The PPS said there had been “significant evidentiary developments” in the case.
The children, aged 14 and 15, have been detained since they first appeared in court in June and spoke in court through a Romanian translator.
A PPS spokesman said: “PPS has a duty to consider investigation decisions and take into account any changes in circumstances as the case progresses.
“When new information or evidence becomes available, it will be evaluated together with all existing information and evidence in the case and the prosecution test applied.
“We have recently become aware of important evidentiary developments in this case.
“In light of this new evidence, it was determined that the evidentiary prosecution test was no longer met and therefore the case should not proceed.
“The prosecution team and the police investigation team met with the complainant and his family this morning to explain the reasons for the decision.”
All charges facing both defendants were formally withdrawn at Laganside Youth Court on Friday.
The PPS added: “All PPS decisions in this case were made independently, impartially and in accordance with prosecutorial rules.
“Due to the importance of respecting the privacy, anonymity and welfare of all young people involved, including the complainant, the PPS will not be commenting further.
“We appeal to the public not to participate in speculation about the case, including on the Internet.”




