Canterbury Bulldogs grant Bronson Xerri permission to meet with Melbourne Storm, Parramatta Eels
Bulldogs star Bronson Xerri is on the radar of many NRL rivals as an early exit from Canterbury at the end of 2026.
Xerri and his management have recently held talks with officials from Melbourne and Parramatta after requesting permission from the Bulldogs to test the open market before November 1.
The Storm and Eels are keen on a move before June 30 given their injuries and lack of depth, but it appears Xerri is only allowed to negotiate a move in 2027.
Given their run in the finals, it seems unlikely the Bulldogs will consider releasing Xerri this season.
Canterbury are also negotiating a potential extension beyond his Bulldogs deal, which expires at the end of 2027 and is reportedly worth $500,000 per year.
The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the confidential nature of the negotiations, said Canterbury had the right of final refusal on Xerri’s immediate future and could still match any offer he received.
But given the Bulldogs have been relegated twice this season from their 17th game, it is unlikely the club will stand in his way if he can secure a longer-term deal elsewhere.
Xerri was the high-profile casualty of Stephen Crichton’s surprise move to eighth in last Saturday’s win over Manly; This was done in part to move Matt Burton to center and ease the playmaking responsibilities of one of the Bulldogs’ highest-earning players.
Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo kept the same backline for Friday’s matchup against the Titans; While Xerri was on the 19-man bench, Enari Tuala was preferred at right centre.
Ciraldo stressed that Xerri’s attitude was “extraordinary” following the Sea Eagles upset, which triggered reports that he was unhappy and wanted to leave the team following his sacking earlier this year.
Xerri is shaping up as a quality player for a number of clubs, most notably the Storm and Eels; Those who have been in short supply at outside defense since their on-field struggles against Zac Lomax resulted in the representative star’s switch to rugby union.
The Storm squad is in the midst of an overhaul, with experienced flyers Will Warbrick (Warriors) and Nick Meaney (Perth Bears) on the move, while out-of-contract backrower Shawn Blore is also expected to leave at the end of 2026.
A squad overhaul is also underway at St George Illawarra as Dean Young bids to be appointed full-time head coach, with the Bears still fielding their first NRL squad.
As for the Bulldogs, Burton’s shift from the attacking base is a key aspect of his next contract beyond 2027, but he has made it clear to the Canterbury hierarchy that he is not particularly impressed with what position he will play.
Both the Bulldogs and Burton want him to stay at Belmore but no extension offers have been made yet.
Canterbury chairman Phil Gould spoke last month about Burton’s potential market value – particularly as a key half in the eyes of the Perth Bears. Goodbye tour podcast.
“We need to work out how much we’re going to pay Matt Burton over the next 18 months,” Gould said.
“What will you pay him if he plays center, what will you pay him if he plays five-eighth… so he has some decisions to make.”

