google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Chaos Erupts in Hormuz After Trump Claimed Iran Deal is Imminent

(Bloomberg) — Iran has moved to restrict ship traffic in the Strait of Hormuz in response to an ongoing U.S. naval blockade, undermining prospects for a peace deal recently announced by President Donald Trump.

Most Read from Bloomberg

The Islamic Republic notified ships on Saturday that the waterway was closed to maritime traffic, and a supertanker reported hearing gunshots, said ship owners in the area who asked to remain anonymous due to the security situation.

Chaos in the Strait of Hormuz, through which about a fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passed before the US-Israeli war against Iran began in February, broke out a day after Iran said the waterway would reopen to commercial ships. Earlier in the day, Iran rejected a US request to maintain the naval blockade until the agreement is signed, calling it “banditry” at sea.

The developments have dashed growing optimism that the sides were nearing a broad agreement to end a seven-week war that has claimed thousands of lives and disrupted energy exports from the Persian Gulf.

President Trump on Friday said a deal with Iran could be close, adding that he would work with Iran to save the country’s “nuclear dust.”

But the country’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, Esmail Baghaei, told state television that enriched uranium “is as sacred to us as Iranian soil and will not be transferred anywhere under any circumstances.”

The material, which the United States says was buried underground after it bombed Iran’s nuclear facilities during last year’s 12-day war, is at the center of efforts to end the conflict and its fate is at the center of a broader deal.

Momentum was building for a lasting peace, with Tehran saying on Friday that Hormuz was open to commercial shipping after Israel agreed to a ceasefire in Lebanon.

Cracks began to appear on Saturday with Iran’s criticism of the ongoing US blockade.

Shortly afterwards, Islamic Revolutionary Guard gunboats approached a tanker and said the ship and its crew were safe before shots were fired, the UK Navy said.

Several oil tankers made a U-turn on Saturday after trying to pass through the narrow waterway. It was not immediately clear why they changed route.

Others still tried to seize the opportunity provided by the Friday announcement. FPMC C Lord, a very large crude carrier loaded with Qatari and Saudi crude oil, sailed south of the Iranian island of Larak and headed for the Gulf of Oman mid-Saturday, stating its destination was Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button