Russian strikes again leave half of Kyiv with no heating in winter cold snap

ReutersRussia’s massive air strike on Ukraine has once again left half of the residences in Kiev without heating and electricity, as temperatures across the country continue to hover around -10C.
Drones, ballistic and cruise missiles have targeted various parts of Ukraine, including Kiev, Dnipro in the center and Odessa in the south.
Air raid warnings in the capital continued for most of the night. Sirens wailed again on Tuesday as Russian drones and cruise missiles approached the capital.
President Volodymyr Zelensky said a “significant number” of targets had been captured. But he also said that in terms of air defense missile prices alone, repelling that attack had cost Ukraine around €80 million (£69 million).
At least four people were killed and 33 people were injured in attacks across Ukraine between Monday and Tuesday.
On Tuesday morning, more than 5,600 residential buildings in Kiev, each with dozens of apartments, woke up with no heating. There is also no water in a large part of the capital.
Mayor Vitalii Klitschko said that after the large-scale attack on January 9, the heating system of almost 80 percent of these buildings was renewed and electricity was cut off in most of the city. Since then, the relentless efforts of technicians have succeeded in restoring electricity and gas to thousands of people; but this job was canceled overnight.
“I have no electricity or water,” 29-year-old veteran Oleksandr Palii told the BBC. “I couldn’t sleep until 3 in the morning because of the strike; there were explosions all night.”
Ukraine’s president was due to travel to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Tuesday, but said he decided to stay in Kiev after the overnight attacks.
He added that he could go to Davos only if documents regarding security guarantees and the welfare plan were ready to be signed with the United States.
Temperatures have been well below freezing since the beginning of the year.
Ukrainian media reported that the radiators exploded due to the freezing of the water inside, causing the entire building to be flooded. There have also been reports of fires breaking out due to people using gas heaters indoors.
As power outages continue, Kyiv residents are finding innovative solutions to survive. Many now use portable stoves for cooking and entire buildings are spending money to purchase generators. But much depends on individual financial capacity.
“I think less wealthy people cope with much worse situations,” says Olha Zasiadvovk, who has a young child. She and other parents bought lamps and thermal containers for their children’s preschool, “so they can cook and store entire meals at once when there is no electricity in the kitchen.”
But if electricity is occasionally available, “food doesn’t store very well. There were cases where food was cooked in the morning and by dinner the porridge was completely solid,” he says.
Recently, videos have been circulating on social media showing Ukrainians barbecuing in snowy gardens and dancing to stay warm, despite ongoing power outages and freezing temperatures. But many say this is the worst winter since all-out war began in 2022, and tempers are frayed as there is no end to hostilities.
Reuters“The endurance of the Ukrainian people cannot be an excuse for the continuation of this war. It must end as soon as possible,” Foreign Minister Andrii Sybiha said on Tuesday. he said.
Kiev city government said more than 10,000 people, including about 800 children, took shelter in the city’s metro stations on Monday night.
Many of the tall buildings that drones frequently hit lack shelter, so the deep subway system remains the only place people can seek safety as the booming sounds of air defense systems ring overhead.
President Zelensky said on Monday that Ukraine had received missiles to repel the night attack and that they had helped significantly.
However, he also emphasized that the need for air defense systems is still critical. In a call with reporters, he said Russia was using “many more” ballistic missiles in its attacks and that Moscow’s capacity to produce them had not diminished.
“So far this has not happened. That’s why we need more missiles, more air defense systems,” he said.
Diplomatic activity in late 2025 raised hopes that progress was being made towards a peace agreement with Russia.
But on Tuesday, Zelensky alluded to concerns that rising tensions between the United States and Europe could harm Ukraine’s ability to defend itself. Currently, Kiev’s European partners are purchasing missiles from the United States on behalf of Ukraine.
“When it comes to [protection from] “The key to ballistic missiles is in the hands of the United States for now,” he said.
“It is very important that deliveries are made on time, production works and partners help us purchase the necessary missiles,” Zelensky said. he emphasized. “In other words, the security of Ukrainians largely depends on the unity of Europe and America.”
Additional reporting by Liubov Sholudko.



-copy.avif?trim=0,0,0,0&width=1200&height=800&crop=1200:800&w=390&resize=390,220&ssl=1)

