Trio charged over alleged role in tobacco syndicate after police seize $1m in cash, 30k vapes from WA properties

Three men have been charged for their alleged role in a syndicate linked to the “large-scale illicit supply of tobacco and electronic cigarettes” after police seized $1 million in cash.
Multiple search warrants were executed by Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers on homes, storage units and a tobacconist in Perth’s southern suburbs and south-west on Thursday as part of an investigation into the sale of products across Western Australia and the trading of illicit proceeds from those sales.
After a four-month investigation, a 47-year-old woman, her 68-year-old father and her 26-year-old son-in-law were arrested following raids.

Police allege they found nearly $800,000 in cash, counting machines and illegal tobacco products at a 68-year-old man’s Mandurah home.
A 47-year-old Eaton woman allegedly had a money counting machine and $240,000 in cash on her bedside table at her home.
They were accused of dealing in proceeds of crime, money or property valued at $100,000 or more.
The woman’s son-in-law was arrested at Bunbury shopping center and charged after allegedly refusing to hand over her mobile phone to police.
Officers later found illegal cigarettes and e-cigarettes at his home in Australia.
He was charged with failure to comply with an order.

It is alleged that most of the illegal goods seized were located in storage units in Mandurah, Bunbury and Busselton.
“Police claim millions of dollars in Commonwealth excise duty and duty would have been avoided if the items seized yesterday were illegally distributed,” a WA Police spokesman said.
“During the searches, many electronic devices were also seized and will be subject to forensic examination.
“The AFP launched an investigation in September 2025 as a result of ongoing efforts to combat organized crime involved in the illicit tobacco trade.
“Investigations arising from previous operations in Western Australia, including the arrest of a Baldivis man in March last year, identified other alleged members of an illegal tobacco syndicate, including the Baldivis man’s sister and father.”
AFP Commander Renee Colley said they were determined to ensure people did not profit from exploiting the wider community.
“Now more than ever, we need the commitment of the whole of society to change the perception and acceptance of illicit tobacco,” he said.

“The illicit tobacco trade is directly linked to acts of violence in our society, and these crimes are committed by organized crime groups seeking power and profit.
“I’m sure the public is outraged that these groups are putting people’s lives and livelihoods at risk for profit.
“His illegal activities pose a threat to Australia’s national security and economy.
“AFP, together with our partners, will continue to proactively target these individuals both here and overseas to disrupt illegal business models and prevent harm to innocent people and legitimate business owners.”
The trio were expected to appear in the Perth Magistrates Court on Friday.

