Critics ask why Keir Starmer is needed for Israel-Hamas peace talks – ‘never in the UK’ | UK | News

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer has landed in Egypt to attend a major international summit on the Gaza peace deal, but his involvement is already under fire at home. Arriving at Sharm el-Sheikh International Airport late on Sunday evening, Starmer will join more than 20 world leaders, including US President Donald Trump and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, at what Downing Street described as a “historic signing ceremony” marking the beginning of the ceasefire agreement. The ceasefire, which took effect on Friday, marks the first phase of a US-brokered agreement between Israel and Hamas.
Under the terms of the 20-point plan, Hamas must release all surviving Israeli hostages and the remains of those killed by Monday noon, and Israel is expected to release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners and detainees. The agreement states that humanitarian aid in Gaza must be increased, which will provide desperately needed aid to the people of Gaza. Despite this important diplomatic milestone, Starmer’s presence has come under criticism.
One person on social media platform
Another person, apparently referring to the UK Government’s decision to recognize the state of Palestine, said: “Keir Starmer will travel to Egypt on Monday to finalize the Israel/Gaza peace plan. Why? This coward rewarded Hamas terrorists with a state that puts almost everything at risk. He shouldn’t be anywhere near it. Maybe stay in the UK for more than a few days.”
Another added: “He actually has a lot to deal with in our country!!”
The number of official overseas visits Starmer has made since his move to 10th place has come under fire several times in recent months. The Prime Minister, who has visited France, the USA and Germany many times since July last year, also visited countries including Italy, India, Estonia and Ireland.
Ahead of the summit, Starmer is expected to thank Egypt, Qatar and Türkiye for “getting us to this point” and Donald Trump for his central role in securing the ceasefire. He will also call for continued international coordination to ensure “rapid progress towards the second phase” of the ceasefire, noting the ongoing nature of the peace process.
On Sunday, Education Minister Bridget Phillipson, speaking to Trevor Phillips on Sky News’ Sunday Morning, said: “We have played a significant role behind the scenes in shaping this.”
He also told BBC One’s show with Laura Kuenssberg on Sunday: “We have a role, but of course the US role was critical in that; we can all accept that.”
US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee said Phillipson’s comments were “delusional”.
He also wrote on X (formerly Twitter): “Can thank you [Trump] Always to set the record straight.”




