Disney content to go dark on YouTubeTV amid contract dispute

Photo illustration of the YouTube TV logo displayed on a smartphone with the YouTube logo in the background.
Nurfoto | Nurfoto | Getty Images
Disney content removed, including channels like ABC and ESPN Googleon YouTube TV on Thursday after the two companies did not renew the contract.
“Last week, Disney used the threat of a YouTube TV outage as a negotiating tactic to force deal terms that would increase prices to our customers,” YouTube said. he said in a statement on his official blog on Thursday.
“They are now following through on that threat and suspending their content on YouTube TV. This decision directly harms our subscribers while also benefiting their own live TV products like Hulu + Live TV and Fubo.”
YouTube said “despite all our efforts, we were unable to reach a fair agreement.”
More than 20 channels, including ABC and ESPN, and Disney content recordings will be removed from YouTube TV.
The two parties began contract negotiations but were unable to reach a new distribution agreement before the deadline on October 30 at 11:59 PM ET.
YouTube TV pays broadcasters to air their channels. The news follows another dispute that YouTube TV had with NBCUniversal last month, which the companies resolved after a temporary extension to avoid content disruption.
“We know how devastating it is to lose channels you enjoy, and we are committed to continuing to work with Disney to reach an agreement,” YouTube said in a statement, adding that the company would offer members a $20 credit if content is unavailable for an extended period of time.
Disney did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Last week, Disney was the first to warn about the possibility of its content being removed from the YouTube platform.
YouTube is America’s leading media distributor in terms of audience engagement, capturing more than 13% of TV viewing time in July. According to Nielsen.



