Even to the end, pig-headed Andrew just didn’t get it. What really happened behind the scenes is a masterclass in how not to play a public scandal

‘He didn’t even get it until the end,’ sighed a royal insider yesterday.
Whether it was his ‘fool-headed’ refusal to keep a low profile during his final few weeks at the Royal Lodge, or his utter intransigence in even acknowledging the many victims of his close friend Jeffrey Epstein, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s behavior has been a masterclass in how not to play out a public scandal.
Although Buckingham Palace has probably wisely chosen not to comment on the latest developments (though believe me, the institution has a few things it would like to say), it’s fair to assume it’s with a sense of quiet relief that the former Duke of York has finally chosen to pack his bags and leave Royal Lodge, the 31-room mansion that has become the epitome of his arrogance, if not his corruption. The siege is finally over.
Courtiers, and indeed members of his own family, have been horrified in recent days by the flood of revelations emanating from the US from the latest dump of the Epstein Files.
This was exacerbated by Andrew’s dogged determination to maintain his daily routine (following a brief but ineffective ban from the royal stables in Windsor) and his dogged preference for avoiding the ever-present photographers on his regular jaunts through the Berkshire countryside.
He was even seen cheekily waving at passers-by from his car during one of those moments when, to me, he ‘just wanted to bang your head on the table’. ‘Terrible optics,’ said another in royal circles.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor waves to people seen riding horses in Windsor on Saturday morning
Removal trucks were parked outside the Royal Lodge in Sandringham today after word spread that Andrew had moved out
Friday’s disclosure of the Epstein files, which has brought the former prince’s connections to him back into focus, includes footage of Andrew kneeling over an unidentified woman
In the end, there was no argument or major ultimatum (in fact, the King still has no personal authority to force Andrew to leave the Royal Lodge before his lease expires in October, but he had previously made his brother agree to leave by Easter at the latest, in the hope that it would be much sooner than that, as it turned out later).
But the Palace also has other tools at its disposal to make its displeasure clear at the most appropriate time. And Andrew had no doubts over the weekend, which was tipped as the perfect moment to quietly set off for Norfolk and begin his new life at the King’s private Sandringham Estate.
Even the moron who was eighth in line to the throne (and yes, he still holds that position as it would require parliamentary action to change that in both the UK and the kingdoms) realized his time was up and opted to retreat under the cover of darkness to avoid the embarrassment of being effectively frog-forced out of the gates in front of the world’s media.
“He was encouraged to think it would be a good time to move on,” another source adds, with a mafia-like threat.
Crucial to the Palace’s ability to act in recent months (including last weekend) was the unequivocal revelation in emails that Andrew had lied when he claimed to have cut off all contact with Epstein in 2010 after the financier was released from prison on child sex charges.
Of course, this doesn’t mean Andrew is now consigned to the records of history.
In fact, although he is now officially a resident of Norfolk, I am told we may see him returning to Windsor from time to time as his move is not fully complete and he may need to stay at Royal Lodge to tie up ‘unfinished business’ for the next few weeks.
Your browser does not support iframes.
A transport truck leaving the Royal Lodge last night. The former Duke of York has been told to leave his stately home earlier than expected after his brother King Charles became increasingly concerned about allegations against him.
He is currently temporarily residing at Wood Farm, Prince Philip’s former home, until his new and relatively modest abode, Marsh Farm, is ready. We hope to complete these works at the beginning of April.
Despite being stripped of his titles, Andrew remains a member of the Royal Family and there are increasing demands for him to explain his behavior and the nature of his friendship with Epstein.
Requests for comment on the ongoing revelations from Buckingham Palace’s private secretary, who keeps his email for security purposes, went unanswered.
This is a position he simply cannot maintain. Even his ‘friends’, who have defended him over the years to Andrew-friendly media rather than the Daily Mail, have remained silent.
The King has had a rather lonely journey in recent years trying to persuade his brother to behave sensibly by reinstating his titles, downsizing his living arrangements and showing some humility in the face of this self-imposed turmoil.
Some family members think he went too far and owes his brother care.
However, the second point did not escape the ruler’s attention.
So while the King believes strongly that Andrew deserves a life-long sanction for a horrific trial (indeed, he and the Queen were the first to publicly express their condolences to all victims of abuse, including Epstein’s), Charles is now privately paying for new living and security arrangements.
It also did not escape anyone that it made sense to keep the old prince on their side rather than leave him financially dependent on his fellows.
There is also a deafening silence when it comes to Epstein’s ex-wife, Sarah Ferguson, who emerged from the email dump with barely a shred of her reputation intact, although she was not accused of complicity.
Earlier this week, sources told me that a temporary move abroad was “imminent” for Ferguson to evaluate his life and future plans.
Although no one is saying where he will go, a safe bet would be to head to Australia to visit his sister Jane, where he often goes to ‘lick his wounds’.
The family attended the premiere of The Young Victoria in March 2009 and would go to visit Jeffrey Epstein months later, just days after he was released from prison.
Andrew and Fergie at the Serpentine Gallery 30th Anniversary Party in London in 2000
But he apparently plans to return to the UK and plans to rent or buy a house in the Windsor area, where he is keeping friends.
Whether this will actually happen remains to be seen.
Again, there was no official comment on the damning and derogatory messages she regularly shared with Epstein before and after his release from prison on child sex charges.
Interestingly, there seems to be a slight loosening of ties between her and her ex-husband, despite her once describing them as ‘the happiest divorced couple in the world’. They were so happy that they continued to live together almost thirty years after their separation.
Friends now seem more willing to highlight the disconnect between the allegations the pair face: in Andrew’s case, sexual assault by Virginia Giuffre (even though he has previously vehemently denied the allegations); In Ferguson there was complete stupidity and greed.
There is a sense of disappointment that the two are being ‘lumped together’ by the media.
We may wonder if they will ever be able to form the same kind of tight family unit again.
For the rest of the Royal Family, the only option is business as usual.
I was told that although they openly acknowledged the level of public attention and outrage, it was ‘sad’ that their daily good work was being overshadowed by the scandal.
Sources told me clearly that ‘giving evidence is now a matter for Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and his conscience’.
Remarkably, they, along with the rest of the British public, learn in ‘real time’ all the horrific details of Andrew’s behavior in recent months.
As major public visits from the King and Queen approach, as well as Prince William’s high-profile overseas trip to Saudi Arabia next week, it will continue to be an unsettling time wherever Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor lives.




