Former CFMEU head John Setka tells court he’s received death threats

Former CFMEU heavyweight John Setka shrugged off death threats, telling reporters he was “really happy” about it.
The 61-year-old long-serving former secretary of the union’s Victorian and Tasmanian division appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday to respond to allegations she sent harassing messages to CFMEU management staff last year.
Police allege he sent threatening, offensive and abusive emails in October last year and then sent an abusive message on Christmas Day.
It is understood he plans to fight the charges.
In court, Mr Setka’s lawyers asked for the hearing to be postponed, stating that they wanted Victoria Police to provide various documents as explanation.
Police prosecutor Alex Turner said in response that six items were searched and police were likely to raise some objections.
He said these included documents held by the CFMEU, not Victoria Police, and wide-ranging requests that would be “very burdensome” to respond to.
The court was told a subpoena would be sought to compel the production of documents and the matter would be set for a two-hour hearing in September.
Responding to news organizations’ requests for access to court documents related to the case, Mr. Setka’s attorney requested that Mr. Setka’s address be corrected.
He said the union figure had been “subject to threats to kill which Victoria Police are investigating”.
“And this is still ongoing, to our understanding,” the lawyer said.

When asked outside court how he felt about these threats, Mr Setka said he was “really happy”.
Mr Setka withdrew from the CFMEU in July 2024, blaming “ongoing false allegations” for the decision.
He will return to court on September 3.

