google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Fury erupts at council vowing to prosecute ‘illegal flags’ on lampposts | UK | News

One of the flags in Shrewsbury (Image: GoFundMe)

Residents who attach Union and St George flags to lampposts and street furniture without permission could be prosecuted, a council has confirmed. But the activists who put up the flags insisted that their campaign remained completely peaceful and lawful.

Shropshire Council said its legal basis came after a spike in threats, harassment and violent intimidation against ordinary residents, highway contractors and local councillors. Due to increased health and safety hazards, workers were tasked with removing unauthorized displays. At a full council meeting on Thursday, portfolio holder for highways and environment David Vasmer explained that it takes time to collect and prepare evidence for criminal prosecution under the Highways Act 1980, but teams will systematically begin removals in Shrewsbury before expanding across the wider borough.

Read more: UK town without a high street but thriving shops

Read more: Anger grips town after council vows to tear down British flags

Mr Vasmer said: “The removal of flags is not normal council business, it is not a statutory service and therefore imposes an additional cost on the council and its residents.”

He emphasized that displaying the national flag is by no means a hate crime, adding: “We have never suggested that it is, but what we do not support is the unauthorised attachment of flags or any other objects to street lighting columns, highway infrastructure or other public street furniture due to health and safety issues, damage and costs to residents, nor do we support or tolerate the abuse of our staff and members.”

The app update has heavily inflamed a dispute that has been ongoing across the country since last summer.

Market Hall building, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England

The picturesque market town of Shrewsbury (Image: Getty)

Grassroots groups across the country hung thousands of flags on street furniture and at intersections; It’s a campaign that supporters have branded as passive civic pride, but critics and other local officials have heavily condemned as a politically charged, anti-immigration tactic to mark local territory.

Financial troubles further complicated the dispute. The local authority previously said it had cost the public purse around £13,000 to clear loose and storm-damaged flags from streetlights.

In response, local organizers responded by publicly offering to maintain and remove damaged flags free of charge to save public money, claiming that the council’s rejection of the offer proved that the crackdown was ideologically motivated rather than financial.

Campaign group Raise the Flags Shrewsbury Plus is relying on thousands of pounds of crowdsourced public funding via its GoFundMe page.

In a bold statement posted on GoFundMe on May 7 detailing its compliance and day-to-day operations, the group stated: “During the month of May, we must make it clear that we notify the police whenever we are carrying out an activity.

“We also provide cones and ensure a traffic management officer is available at all times. Over the last two weeks, we have sought appropriate legal advice and thankfully we now have professional guidance to ensure we remain lawful at all times.”

Get top stories from The Express straight to your phone Join us on WhatsApp

Our community members are treated to special offers, promotions and advertising from us and our partners. You can check out whenever you want. Read our Privacy Policy

The group also directly objected to the wave of online criticism they had faced, stating: “People can continue to hurl hate and accusations, but the simple truth is that if it is acceptable for others to remove flags, then there is no objection to us legally displaying them.”

Addressing growing legal battles and confusion over ownership of major roads around Shropshire, the group said its legal representative was now sending more emails regarding the A49, A5 and other roads being maintained.

The group said: “The email shared online was sent before our legal counsel became involved and was in response to excessive and abusive emails being sent to the Highways Agency. Again, anything removed from legally permitted routes will be reported as theft.”

Volunteers continue to advocate for their broader actions by highlighting local philanthropic efforts. The group began repairing local potholes, donating winter heating funds to vulnerable residents, and providing toys and games to nearby hospitals and nursing homes.

He insisted: “We want to be absolutely clear: we do not support racism, extremism or fascism of any kind; there is no room for that here.”

But public reaction on social media and community forums has been starkly divided. While some residents saw the threat of prosecution as an authoritarian, “anti-British” overreach, others expressed deep relief.

Proponents of the crackdown argue that neglected plastic displays quickly turn into shredded garbage, obstructing critical sightlines for drivers at busy intersections and creating an unwelcome, tense atmosphere in local neighborhoods.

As the council progresses its prosecution plans, it has also applied for community safety and cohesion funding from the Home Office.

The authority plans to use these grants to launch a community project where local youth can design official, authorized heritage flags that will fly alongside national symbols appropriately displayed. With both sides intervening and legal boundaries being officially drawn, there appears to be no sign of calming down in the bitter conflict in society.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button