google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

New Jersey wrestler Anthony Knox Jr gets probation for brawl role

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

New Jersey state wrestling champion Anthony Knox Jr. and his father, Anthony Knox Sr., were sentenced for their roles in a brawl at last year’s regional tournament.

Knox, who is committed to wrestling at Rutgers University, and his father were initially charged with simple assault for intentionally causing bodily injury after a fight at Collingswood High School in February. 22, 2025.

They both reached a plea agreement that reduced Knox Jr.’s disorderly conduct charges. According to NJ.com. Knox Sr.’s charges were downgraded to disorderly conduct and disturbing the peace.

CLICK TO GET MORE SPORTS NEWS FOXNEWS.COM

John Vianney’s Anthony Knox defeated Manchester’s Charles Gold by technical fall in the 126 lbs quarterfinal match. The opening rounds of the NJSIAA Region 7 Tournament will be held on February 28, 2025 in Lacey, NJ. (USA TODAY NETWORK via Peter Ackerman/Imagn Images)

Additionally, the judge gave Knox Jr. a one-year probation. The charges will be dropped if he complies with probation.

Former MMA fighter Knox Sr., who told the court: “It was a really unfortunate incident,” will have to pay a $1,000 fine.

The Knoxes were taken into custody last year after a high school fight broke up. Knox Jr., St. He had already won his match at John Vianney High School; This checked another key box on his way to a fourth consecutive New Jersey title in his weight class.

TOP NJ WRESTLER ANTHONY KNOX JR CHARGED WITH SIMPLE ASSAULT FOR ALLEGED PART IN VIRAL TOURNAMENT FIGHT

Videos were published on social media showing Knox Jr. running towards the stands to join the fight.

“During the 25th Region wrestling tournament, the defendant entered the section of the gym stands designated for the opposing team and began throwing punches there. [redacted] Court documents obtained by The New York Post stated that the facial and head injuries resulted in persistent bruising and pain in the right temple area.

Knox Jr. was disqualified from participating in the tournament by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) until Mercer County Superior Court Judge Patrick Bartels issued a temporary restraining order allowing him to compete in the District 7 tournament.

Knox Jr. He released a statement at the time explaining why he joined the fight, saying his father had approached the opposing team to respond to the alleged insults.

St. in men John Vianney's Anthony Knox and Donovan Catholic's Kurt Wehner 120 lbs. final. Men's Wrestling finals at the NJSIAA State Wrestling Championships in Atlantic City on March 2, 2024.

St. in men John Vianney’s Anthony Knox and Donovan Catholic’s Kurt Wehner 120 lbs. final. Men’s Wrestling finals at the NJSIAA State Wrestling Championships in Atlantic City on March 2, 2024. (IMAGN)

Knox Jr. was asked by Bartels. “During the final matches the atmosphere of the crowd became increasingly hostile towards me and my teammates due to our success,” he said in a statement. “Insults rained down on us. Apparently, my father came to the insulters and asked them to stop.

“In response, I saw these individuals rush forward, attacking my father, and my father being pulled down and completely surrounded by unruly people. My immediate reaction was to approach the department to assist in the protection and safety of my father and mother, who were with me. I dispute the NJSIAA’s version of the facts.”

The Knox family also participated in an interview with ABC7 in which Knox Sr. said “racial slurs” were being uttered towards children on the mats below.

“[I] “I saw a group of grown men yelling racial slurs at kids I’ve been educating since they were 6 years old, cursing at my son, cursing at my wife,” Knox Sr. said.

Anthony Knox's wrestling

Anthony Knox (SJV) p. Hunter Borer. John Vianney Wrestling defeated Southern Regional 33-27 on January 8, 2025 in Holmdel, NJ. (IMAGN)

CLICK TO REACH THE FOX NEWS APPLICATION

“As a man, I walked up to the stands and asked the man to stop. At that point I was attacked. I never threw a punch. I never hurt anyone. I never ran out there like a bat out of hell and punched people. None of that happened. I was pushed down from the stands. I could have been seriously injured. Then I was surrounded by about 10 families.”

Knox Jr. He was the nation’s No. 1-ranked 126-pound wrestler last season, and despite the legal troubles, Rutgers was not deterred from signing him to the program on a $200,000-a-year NIL deal, according to NJ.com.

Follow Fox News Digital Sports streaming on X and subscribe Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button