google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Iconic London New Year’s Eve firework spot closed due to cost-cutting | UK | News

London is a particularly popular city for New Year’s Eve, known for its spectacular fireworks displays over the River Thames. Revelers gather across the city to enjoy the show, but a popular viewing spot is scheduled to close this year.

People are being warned not to travel to Primrose Hill in Camden for this year’s exhibition as it will be closed as part of a cost-cutting measure. The park, which has magnificent panoramic views of London, attracted approximately 30,000 people last year. However, it has been confirmed that Primrose Hill’s doors will be closed from 8pm on Tuesday 30 December until 6am on New Year’s Day.

The Metropolitan Police announced in early 2025 that it would disband the Royal Parks police, which is trying to fill a £260 million black hole with funding. The team helped tackle crime in green areas such as Primrose Hill and Hyde Park.

The move means Primrose Hill will be closed to the public this New Year as the force begins servicing other parts of the city. Police reminded revelers to stay away from the scene and choose other parts of the city to watch the fireworks display.

The Royal Parks charity, which runs Primrose Hill, has previously said its capacity to manage crowds of the size that usually watch New Year’s Eve fireworks will be “severely reduced” by police cuts. Meanwhile, the Met Police said it was “not correct to suggest” that the decision to close Primrose Hill was necessary due to the disbanding of the Royal Parks policing team.

A spokesman for Royal Parks said: “The decision to close Primrose Hill on New Year’s Eve was not taken lightly. Last year an estimated 30,000 people visited Primrose Hill to watch the Mayor of London’s New Year’s Eve fireworks display.

“This was a meeting in open parkland, not an organized event with an event organiser, and we are limited in the controls we can put in place to ensure public safety. We have therefore decided to close and lock down Primrose Hill from 8pm on 30 December until 1 January.”

Commander Nick John, who is responsible for the Met’s New Year’s Eve policing, added: “The Royal Parks are urging people not to attempt to congregate in Primrose Hill this year and we will reiterate these appeals. Please make alternative plans. Anyone attempting to access the park will find this is not possible.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button