google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Indonesians hunt for food, water after deadly floods

Authorities stated that some residents of Indonesia’s Sumatra island, affected by the flood, resorted to stealing food and water to survive, while the number of deaths from floods and landslides in Sri Lanka increased to 193.

Floods that hit Indonesia almost a week ago killed 303 people; This number is expected to rise as more bodies are found, and thousands of people have been displaced.

The floods caused landslides, damaged roads, cut off parts of the island and disrupted communication lines.

Difficult weather conditions and lack of heavy equipment also hampered rescue efforts.

Aid has been slow to reach the hardest-hit city of Sibolga and the Central Tapanuli region of North Sumatra.

Videos on social media showed people breaching dilapidated barricades, flooded roads and broken glass to seize food, medicine and fuel.

Some even waded through waist-deep floodwater to reach damaged markets.

Police spokesman Ferry Walintukan said North Sumatra Police first reported the incidents on Saturday evening and regional police were deployed to maintain order.

“The looting took place before logistical assistance arrived,” he said.

“(Residents) didn’t know help was coming and were worried they would starve.”

Cabinet Secretary Teddy Indra Wijaya said on Sunday that 11 helicopters were deployed to affected areas from Jakarta the day after the disaster for ongoing logistics distribution operations, especially to places where land access was cut off.

“However, unpredictable weather conditions often hinder aid operations,” he said.

The Cabinet Secretariat released footage of military airdrops of supplies into the affected areas.

In the northern village of Tapanuli, survivors waved frantically to helicopters carrying aid. Meanwhile, four navy ships docked at a port to support aid distribution.

Officials in Sri Lanka said that the number of deaths from floods and landslides increased to 193, and 228 people were still missing.

Approximately 148,000 people were displaced from their homes and placed in temporary shelters.

Sri Lanka has been affected by severe weather conditions since last week.

Conditions worsened further on Thursday; Heavy downpours flooded homes, fields and roads and triggered landslides in the tea-growing central hill district.

Officials say Cyclone Ditwah, which has developed in the seas east of Sri Lanka, may move towards the southern coast of India on Sunday.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button