Joey Chestnut to defend hot dog eating title on July 4 while on probation

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Even though he’s on parole, Joey Chestnut will be in Coney Island on July 4th to defend the Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest.
Chestnut pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge on April 20 and was sentenced to 180 days of probation in Hamilton County, Indiana.
But “Jaws” was granted permission to travel out of state, allowing him to participate in the July 4 event in New York City, which he has won 17 times, including last year. He had previously petitioned to travel outside of Indiana to host the Hot Dog Eating Contest.
CLICK HERE TO GET MORE SPORTS NEWS ON FOXNEWS.COM
Joey Chestnut wins the men’s competition at the Nathan’s Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4, 2025 in New York City. He returned to compete for a 17th straight win after missing the 2024 event due to a sponsorship dispute with Major League Eating. (Adam Gray/Getty Images)
Chestnut, considered one of the most competitive eaters of all time, was accused of slapping a man in the face during a night out at a bar in Indiana around 2 a.m. on March 21. Us Weekly. She later told authorities she was drunk and did not remember her interaction with the man.
The man also claimed he recognized Chestnut while they were at the bar and approached him and shook his hand before slapping him on the left side of his face.
Joey Chestnut was sentenced to probation after pleading guilty to drunkenly slapping a man at a bar
“The defendant pulled [the victim] approaches forward and uses right hand to attack [the victim] with an open hand on his face. [The victim] As the defendant stands over her, she is observed reacting to the blow, moving her head downwards and holding it there. [his friend]the officer said in an affidavit obtained by Us Weekly. “[Chestnut] moves towards [the victim] again and [the victim] walks away from the defendant.
“The touching was naked, brash or angry because the open-handed assault was carried out without the victim’s consent, in a manner that caused pain, while the defendant allegedly used provocative language to provoke an unlawful response towards the victim.”
Chestnut’s lawyer, Mario Massillamany, said his client took “full responsibility for this misunderstanding.”

Joey Chestnut wins the men’s competition at the Nathan’s Annual Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4, 2025 in New York City. He returned to compete for a 17th straight win after missing the 2024 event due to a sponsorship dispute with Major League Eating. (Adam Gray/Getty Images)
Chestnut will be looking for his 18th title in his last 19 attempts, but he might have won it once again had it not been for Nathan banning him from competing in 2024. Before the competition, Nathan’s rival had signed a deal with Impossible Foods.
But Chestnut and the event’s organizers found common ground on sponsorship ahead of the 2025 competition.
He went on to consume 70.5 hot dogs and buns in a 10-minute period.

Joey Chestnut grabs a protester by the neck as he interrupts the 2022 Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest on July 4, 2022 in Coney Island, New York City. (Tayfun Coşkun/Anadolu via Getty Images)
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION
Now that he’s locked in the contest, Chestnut should be the overwhelming favorite. He is also coming off victory at the 2026 Ultimate Bologna Showdown in Tennessee, winning the event for the third year in a row. Kestane broke a new world record by eating 16 kilos of sausage in eight minutes.
Fox News’ Ryan Morik and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow Fox News Digital Sports streaming on X and subscribe Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.



