google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Morocco accused of ‘horrific’ abuse of detained gen Z protesters | Morocco

The arbitrary detention and allegations of “horrific” beatings of hundreds of Gen Z protesters in Morocco have been condemned by human rights groups as the country prepares to host the Africa Cup of Nations on Sunday.

A wave of youth-led demonstrations, the largest since the Arab spring of 2011, swept through Morocco in late September and early October to protest underfunded health and education.

Human rights groups said the government responded to the protests, known as “Gen Z 212” after the country’s dialing code, by arbitrarily arresting thousands of people. People were beaten and left without food or water for hours while in police custody, The Guardian was told.

A mother whose 18-year-old son has been detained for more than two months said, “My son was eating dinner at a buffet when he was arrested. He was not even protesting.”

He said that his son was hit very badly during the arrest and even lost some of his teeth. He said he was beaten again while in police custody “simply because he refused to sign police documents relating to his trials”.

Bus passengers in Casablanca watch as security forces detain a man who participated in a protest calling for education and healthcare reforms in September. Photo: Mosa’ab Elshamy/AP

Souad Brahma, president of the Moroccan Association for Human Rights (AMDH), said female protesters were victims of “harassment, insults, vulgar and sexist rhetoric.” Some also reported incidents of “inappropriate touching.”

On October 1, three protesters were allegedly shot dead by security forces during a protest in the town of Lqliâa, near the popular Atlantic tourist spot of Agadir. 14 protesters were also injured, including 12-year-old children who suffered gunshot wounds. Authorities claimed that a group of protesters stormed the local police station, and police officers responded.

So far more than one Cases were filed against 2 thousand 400 people Dozens of people who participated in a nonviolent demonstration in connection with the protests were charged with acts of violence. Amnesty International.

Condemning the absence of lawyers at hearings, inadequate investigations and the lack of a presumption of innocence, AMDH said dozens of people had already been sentenced to prison, some of up to 15 years. It was stated that hundreds of people, including children, were detained.

On October 1, a child was taken away by riot police during a protest in Salé, near the Moroccan capital Rabat. Hundreds of children are thought to be detained. Photo: Mosa’ab Elshamy/AP

Ahmed Benchemsi, a spokesman for Human Rights Watch, said: “The government was clearly scared and orchestrated this crackdown to send a strong message that it would not tolerate any form of dissent.”

Following the chaos, the government said: committed to social reforms and announced Expenditures on health and education increased.

As Morocco prepares to host the African Cup of Nations, Reports of unrest in many Moroccan citiesProtesters demanded the release of detained Generation Z demonstrators.

Criticism also came after the flash Flood killed 37 people This week, protesters in the Atlantic coast province of Safi attacked the government. Prioritizing international prestige projects through basic infrastructure and services.

But Moroccan human rights groups said many young people feared returning to the streets because of alleged beatings and forced confessions following the September and October protests.

“We heard horrific accounts of torture while in police custody,” said Mustapha Elfaz from AMDH’s Marrakech branch.

“Some detainees were forced to undress. One mother said her son and his friend were beaten so badly with electric wires on their legs that the marks were still visible weeks later. Her son remains in prison.”

Elfaz said many protesters and families won’t reveal what happened to them for fear of repercussions. “What happens in prisons now remains largely secret,” he said.

A lawyer in Casablanca, who joined a group of around 50 volunteers defending protesters across the country, told the Guardian there had been “numerous procedural violations regarding arrests and police custody”, with heavy sentences imposed due to insufficient evidence and hastily prepared reports.

Moroccan officials said it all The conditions required for a fair trial were complied with From the moment of arrest, with legally prepared police reports and decisions made within reasonable periods.

A mourner holds a photo and documents of Abdessamade Oubalat, one of three protesters killed in Lqliaa on October 1, at her funeral a few days later. Photo: AFP/Getty

Six relatives of two victims killed in a protest in Lqliaa last week said they were detained by police after standing outside parliament in the capital Rabat holding photos of their loved ones. The families said police took their phones and “deleted everything related to the meeting” and then ordered them to leave the city.

“We just want justice, a transparent investigation and accountability for those responsible,” said 24-year-old filmmaker Abdessamade Oubalat, a relative of one of those killed.

Moroccan officials said: Families were taken to the police station after refusing to comply with orders to disperse. He said they were not arrested or detained.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button