google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Hollywood News

Mumbai-Pune Expressway gridlock: MSRDC to refund toll of Rs 5.16 crore to 1.2 lakh commuters. Check who will get it and how

Passengers who were stranded in a massive 32-hour traffic nightmare on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway earlier this month are finally set to get some relief. According to a report in Times of India, the Maharashtra State Road Development Corporation (MSRDC) has announced that it will refund a total of Rs 5.16 crore as toll to around 1.2 lakh passengers who were caught in the traffic gridlock on February 3 but were still charged despite suspension orders.

The chaos began when a gas tanker overturned near Khopoli, triggering one of the worst traffic jams on the busy highway. Thousands of vehicles were stranded for hours, with frustrated passengers stuck in endless queues and forced to cancel or postpone their travel plans. In response to the emergency, authorities had ordered a temporary halt to fare collection to facilitate movement and reduce inconvenience.

But officials later discovered that fare cuts for some passengers continued even after the suspension order was issued. MSRDC said it reviewed transaction records and identified all affected FASTag users. Toll refunds will now be directly transferred to passengers’ FASTag accounts next week.

An MSRDC official told TOI: “We have data of passengers from whom toll collection was collected even after the toll suspension order was issued following the gas tanker accident. This amount will be refunded to passengers’ FASTag accounts next week.”

The refund amount covers toll collection not only on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway but also on the Pune-Bengaluru Expressway and ensures that all affected passengers are compensated. MSRDC had earlier sought detailed transaction data from concessionaire IRB Infrastructure to determine how many passengers were incorrectly charged after toll collection was officially stopped.


Officials clarified that the toll barriers were eventually opened to allow free passage, but some FASTag transactions had already been processed during the confusion. These cuts have now been reversed, they said.
The crash, which occurred on February 3, caused widespread disruption and public outrage, especially after reports emerged that fare collection was continuing despite the ongoing crisis. Several political leaders, including Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray, demanded accountability and immediate refund for passengers who paid tolls during the prolonged congestion. Consumer rights groups also stepped in and filed legal notices with MSRDC and disaster management authorities. They called for stricter accountability and clearer emergency protocols to ensure passengers are not charged during major highway disruptions in the future.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button