google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

National Guard member dies after Washington DC shooting | US | News

One of the national guardsmen shot in a targeted attack in Washington, D.C. has died, officials have confirmed. Trump said the female member, previously identified as Sarah Beckstrom, 20, died from her injuries. Sky News reports.

The news came after it was confirmed that the suspected attacker was Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal. The incident is being investigated by the FBI as an act of terrorism.

According to NY Post, according to law enforcement sources, Lakanwal allegedly lied in wait before turning the corner near the Farragut West Metro Station in Northwest DC around 2:15 pm on Wednesday, November 26, and then opened fire, hitting Sarah in the chest and then shooting her in the head.

Following the gunshots, the suspect was reportedly shot four times before being taken away almost naked by ambulance. West Virginia governor Patrick Morrisey initially said the two guardsmen had died, but later issued a correction explaining that his office had “received conflicting reports” about their condition.

It was reported that the guards were taken to two different hospitals and their condition was critical, but one of them died. reports The Mirror.

“They answered the call, they volunteered, they put their lives on the line for people they didn’t know, and that’s increasingly becoming a reality for members of law enforcement,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro. A suspect already in custody was also shot and injured and is not believed to be life-threatening, according to law enforcement.

Trump expressed his condolences to the affected families and launched a scathing attack on Joe Biden’s presidency and immigration laws in a statement to the nation.

The US President has branded the former president ‘the worst man in the history of the country’ after allowing ’20 million unknown and unvetted aliens’ into the country.

Jeffery Carroll, executive assistant to Washington’s police chief, said the gunman “came around the corner” and immediately began shooting at troops about two blocks northwest of the White House. Hearing the gunshots, other soldiers in the area came to the scene and neutralized the attacker.

Trump also warned that the suspected attacker would “pay a very high price” for his actions. A post from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced: “Effective immediately, processing of all immigration claims for Afghan citizens has been suspended indefinitely pending further review of security and investigative protocols. The protection and security of our homeland and the American people remains our sole focus and mission.”

An Afghan advocacy group also condemned the attack but insisted it should not be used to “isolate or harm” Afghans settling in America.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button