google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Federal appeals court halts Chicago immigration agents’ use of force restrictions

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A federal appeals court blocked a lower court ruling that sought to limit how immigration officers use force during enforcement operations in the Chicago area, calling the judge’s decision “overly broad” and “too prescriptive.”

The Seventh Circuit panel cautioned against an “over-reading” of the decision, noting that an expedited appeal could result in a “more specific and appropriate” disposition.

Earlier this month, U.S. District Judge Sara Ellis issued a preliminary injunction after media outlets and demonstrators accused federal officers of using excessive force during an immigration operation that resulted in the arrests of more than 3,000 people in Chicago and surrounding areas since September.

Justice Department lawyers argued that the order restricts law enforcement’s ability to carry out their duties and could “subvert” the constitutional structure.

BLUE CITY JUDGE STATES ‘FEAR OR OBSTACLE’ IN PREVENTING ARRESTS AT ICE COURTHOUSE DURING COURT PROCEEDINGS

Federal immigration enforcement officers detain a protester in Chicago’s Little Village neighborhood on October 23, 2025. (AP)

The board said the order was “too prescriptive” because it specified riot control weapons and other devices “in a manner that resembles a federal regulation.”

Ellis’ order prohibited agents from using physical force and chemical agents, such as tear gas and pepper spray, unless necessary or to prevent an “immediate threat.” The judge said the use of these tools violated the constitutional rights of journalists and protesters.

Witnesses told the court they were pepper-sprayed, pepper-sprayed and had guns pointed at while they were praying.

FEDERAL JUDGE SAYS ICE DETAINERS AT CHICAGO AREA FACILITIES ‘SHOULD NOT SLEEP NEAR OVERFLOWING TOILETS’

Federal agents in camouflage uniforms clash with anti-ICE protesters in Broadview

Tear gas filled the air after being used by federal law enforcement officers who confronted community members and activists for allegedly shooting a woman in the Brighton Park neighborhood in Broadview, Illinois, on October 4, 2025. (Scott Olson/Getty Images)

Ellis found Trump administration witnesses, including Gregory Bovino, the Border Patrol commander who led the Chicago-area operation before heading to North Carolina, were “not credible at all.”

Bovino defended the agents’ use of force and supervised about 230 officers from U.S. Customs and Border Protection in the area starting in September. Federal border agents are expected to be deployed to New Orleans next.

Gregory Bovino

U.S. Border Patrol Commander at Large Gregory Bovino (right) sees a detainee sitting next to a car on Monday, Nov. 17, 2025, in Charlotte, North Carolina. (AP Photos)

The immigration operation led to numerous lawsuits, including allegations of inhumane conditions at a federal immigration facility; Those allegations prompted a federal judge and lawyers to visit U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement headquarters outside Chicago last week.

CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION

DHS spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin called the stay “a win for the rule of law and the safety of every law enforcement officer.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button