google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Plethora of weapons seized, including 3D-printed guns

More than 1,000 firearms and parts have been seized and nearly 200 people arrested following operations against illegal weapons across Australia.

The week of action led by the Australian Border Force uncovered 281 firearms or parts that were custom-made or 3D printed.

A 3D printer, three manufactured Glock-style pistols, 3D printed holsters and an imitation pistol were seized, among other items, during a raid in Gosford on the central coast of NSW.

A lawsuit was filed against the 52-year-old man, who was arrested at the scene, on 14 different firearms offences.

NSW Police Detective Superintendent John Watson, who chairs Australia’s Illegal Firearms Working Group, said “criminals are innovating but so are the police.”

“Custom-built firearms present a rapidly evolving challenge, but this operation demonstrates what is possible when agencies collaborate effectively,” he said in a statement Tuesday.

“These 3D printed components may look colorful, but they are not toys… When put together, they become deadly weapons – completely illegal and extremely dangerous.”

Across the country, 184 people were arrested and 854 people were charged.

ABF said all 719 firearms were seized, 489 parts were seized and a further 64 imitation firearms and gel explosives were found.

Other items seized included $250,000 in cash and banned drugs.

During the search in Kotara, Newcastle, two rifles, three pistols, an automatic pistol and 1000 rounds of ammunition were found.

In another attack in Belfield, south-west Sydney, a number of weapons were seized, including BB guns and slingshots, as well as 3700 rounds of ammunition and pepper spray.

94 firearms, 223 firearm parts and scores of other weapons were seized in dozens of raids in Western Australia last week.

These include a homemade shotgun, firearm manufacturing parts, copies of firearms manuals, pepper spray and a taser found at a house in the Greenfields area of ​​Mandurah.

A 38-year-old man was arrested at the scene and will appear in court on November 7 on multiple weapons charges.

Border Force Commander Graeme Campbell said the “sophisticated, intelligence-led” operation was a success.

“We work closely with our partner organizations to disrupt criminals seeking to obtain illegal firearms and firearm parts that could potentially harm the Australian community,” he said.

“Many of these items are sold by online retailers, which can lead people to mistakenly believe that they are not inspected on import. Many of these websites simply place orders from abroad on behalf of the buyer, without considering import regulations.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button