‘Premium’ cars like BMW and Mercedes cut from Motability scheme

Erica Witherington,disabled work producerAnd
Nathan Standley
Getty ImagesDisabled people who own cars under the Motability scheme will no longer be allowed to buy “premium” vehicles such as BMWs and Mercedes.
Motability said the change would take effect immediately as it announced it would focus more on the use of British-made cars and said it wanted half of the cars it leased to be British-made by 2035.
Critics are calling on the government to address the rising cost of the Motability scheme, which allows people on certain disability benefits to rent cars more cheaply, ahead of Wednesday’s Budget.
Chancellor Rachel Reeves said increased use of British-made cars would “support thousands of well-paid, skilled jobs” and help stimulate the economy.
This announcement follows recent speculation about potential changes the government could make to the budget to reduce the cost of the scheme.
The number of people owning a Motability car has increased rapidly in recent years, reaching 860,000. Many of the cars rented by the program have been adapted to be accessible to wheelchair users.
Approximately 50,000 of the vehicles leased by the program are premium vehicles, with customers paying the additional cost of a premium vehicle with their own money.
Motability has long argued that the scheme provides a lifeline for people with disabilities.
But aside from the overall cost of the program rising, some critics said customers should not be able to buy a “premium” car subsidized by taxpayers.
Speaking earlier this month, transport minister Heidi Alexander said she would be “comfortable” with “truly high-end cars” being excluded from the plan.
Earlier this month, Farah Black, a disabled woman in Northern Ireland, He told the BBC about renting a BMW under the Motability scheme.
He was unable to drive for 12 years following a serious injury that led to life-threatening sepsis and the amputation of his leg.
He said he cried when he bought his BMW, which was adapted to his needs as a wheelchair user and for which he paid the additional fee in advance.
“We should all have a choice,” he said.
“Why don’t I have a choice and use what I want because I am disabled?”

Motability said it was “refocusing” on what vehicles were available on the programme, adding that it would focus on vehicles that “meet the needs of disabled people” and are “safe, reliable and affordable to run”.
In addition to Mercedes and BMW, other brands removed within the scope of the change include Audi, Alfa Romeo and Lexus.
Brands are no longer available as options on the Motability website.
But Matt Ryder, who works on Mobility policy for the Department for Work and Pensions, said the problems with the scheme went beyond offering premium brands.
He said the program, which leases brand new cars that are replaced only every three years, could be made more efficient by supplying nearly new cars instead.
“A car is not a luxury, but a brand new car is a luxury purchase,” he said.
As for its commitment to British-made cars, Motability said it would work closely with manufacturers to increase the proportion of cars it leases in the UK in the short term.
He wants the proportion of cars in the plan to be increased from 7% currently to 25% by 2030.
Andrew Miller, managing director of Motability Operations, said the scheme was a “lifeline to freedom and independence” for its customers, adding that they “want to do more to support the economy” going forward.




