google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Radiohead’s Thom Yorke says he would ‘absolutely not’ perform in Israel

radio head Singer Thom Yorke says he will no longer perform concerts in Israel after band goes bankrupt examination Because I played in Tel Aviv in 2017.

In an interview with a British newspaper Sunday TimesYorke said he would “absolutely not” participate in the demonstration in Israel that took place before the ceasefire was agreed between Israel and Hamas.

“I wouldn’t want to be within 5,000 miles of Netanyahu’s regime, but Jonny’s roots are there,” he told the publication, referring to Radiohead lead guitarist Jonny Greenwood.

CNN is reaching out to the Israeli prime minister’s office for comment.

Greenwood told the Sunday Times he “politely” disagreed with Yorke.

“I think the government is more likely to use a boycott and say, ‘Everybody hates us; we should do exactly what we want.’ That’s much more dangerous,” Greenwood said.

Greenwood said the only thing he was ashamed of was dragging his bandmates “into this mess.” “But I’m not ashamed of working with Arab and Jewish musicians. I can’t apologize for that.”

Radiohead will perform at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in Indio, California on April 14, 2017. -Valerie Macon/AFP/Getty Images

radio head came under fire To perform in Tel Aviv during the “Moon Shaped Pool” world tour, which ran from 2016 to 2018. At the time, the Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions (BDS) organization called on Radiohead to boycott Israel due to their behavior in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.

Last year, York He took out his guitar and walked off stage during a solo concert in Melbourne, Australia, after being cornered by a pro-Palestinian protester.

Radiohead will soon begin their first tour in seven years, playing shows across Europe in November and December. Asked by The Sunday Times whether he was concerned this tour might be targeted by protesters, Yorke replied: “Are you kidding?” he replied.

“But they don’t care about us. This is about a dramatic event happening on Instagram,” he told The Sunday Times.

Yorke said he did not believe Israel should be allowed to participate in the Eurovision song contest, but added: “But I don’t think Eurovision should have Eurovision. So what do I know?”

Eurovision is a major annual international music competition attended by European Broadcasting Union countries. Israel has been participating in the competition since 1973 and there have been calls for it to withdraw from the competition. condensed After the war in Gaza.

For more CNN news and newsletters, create an account at: CNN.com

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button