google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
Australia

Rapist jailed for brutal Perth and Kalgoorlie attacks

A Perth man has been sentenced to 13.5 years in prison for the horrific and gruesome rape of two young women 35 years ago.

Kevin Frederick Combes, 56, was arrested last year after investigative genealogy techniques linked him to the sexual assault of a 17-year-old woman in Kalgoorlie in 1991 and a 19-year-old woman in the Perth CBD in 1990.

Kevin Combes leaves Perth Magistrates Court last year.Credit: Nine News

The 19-year-old victim, who appeared in court on Thursday, was leaving a bar in Barracks Street just after midnight in June 1990 when he was captured, taken to a dark alley and had a knife held to his throat.

She was told to take off her clothes and lie face down before being raped.

Combes, who was 20 at the time, told the woman, “If you scream, I’ll kill you” as she tried to negotiate for him to let her go. He offered her money to do it, but she refused and instead raped him before letting him go.

He reported the crime, but police had difficulty finding the attacker until DNA they collected on the day of the attack was linked to Combes and led to his arrest more than 30 years later.

Police also linked him to a second sexual assault in Kalgoorlie in February 1991, eight months after the Perth attack.

During this attack, Combes forced a 17-year-old girl into the trunk of the car at knifepoint, then took her to a secluded area in Boulder and raped her.

In a victim impact statement she wrote to the court ahead of Combes’ sentencing, the woman described how she was further humiliated by having to flag down a lorry driver while naked to get help.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button