google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Read Naushabah Khan statement in full after quitting as Cabinet Office PPS amid calls for ‘new leadership’

Cabinet Office PPS Naushabah Khan became the latest Labor aide to resign on Monday as pressure mounts on Sir Keir Starmer.

Ms Khan called for “new leadership so we can rebuild trust and deliver the better future the British people voted for”.

Joe Morris, parliamentary private secretary (PPS) to Health Minister Wes Streeting, and Tom Rutland, PPS to Environment Minister Emma Reynolds, have called on Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer to set a timetable for his departure as he resigns on Monday.

Home Secretary Shabana Mahmood’s PPS member Sally Jameson also joined around 60 Labor MPs calling for Sir Keir’s resignation.

Naushabah Khan told Times Radio He said that resigning was “not an easy decision”.

He said: “This is not something I take lightly. I have been a committed Labor member for many years, but as an MP elected in 2024 I have come to a stage where I am deeply disappointed with how things are currently run.”

True, Khan says Starmer has lost public trust
True, Khan says Starmer has lost public trust (Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

“The reality is that Keir Starmer has done a fantastic job of leading our party through an election and getting us to where we are in the majority and I fully accept that but unfortunately, these last local elections have shown us that when we talk to people on the doorstep that doesn’t work anymore and we hear over and over again that we don’t trust your leader, we don’t support your leader, we can’t support that.”

He said the party needed to “rethink how we do this” to regain public support, adding: “I don’t think the Prime Minister has said enough this morning to address this issue.”

Naushabah Khan’s full statement

“The message of last week’s election was clear: the Prime Minister had lost public confidence.

“Since I was elected to serve the people of Gillingham and Rainham, I have and will always put the interests of my constituents and our country first. It is with this commitment in mind that I have taken the difficult decision to resign from my role as Parliamentary Private Secretary (PPS) to the Cabinet Office.

“Our country is facing unprecedented challenges. The people of Gillingham & Rainham and the country deserve leadership that can deliver results at scale. “I did not enter politics to stand by while we failed.

“We need a clear change of direction now and there is no need to play games. If we act now a Labor Government can and will rise to the moment.

“I’m calling for new leadership so we can rebuild trust and deliver the better future that the British people voted for.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button