Reform campaign for Farage’s Clacton seat was a ‘juggernaut’, say candidates | Nigel Farage

Tory and Labor candidates whom Nigel Farage defeated to win the Westminster seat of Clacton have described feeling like a “jumper” of the Reform campaign as police begin to consider allegations of overspending by the UK Reform leader.
The candidates spoke out after a former aide claimed Reform UK had misreported election spending in Clacton, where Farage won last year’s general election. On Monday, Essex police said they were assessing a report of “alleged misreporting of expenses by a political party” following guidance from the Metropolitan Police.
Richard Everett, a former Reform UK councilor and member of Farage’s campaign team, has reportedly handed over documents to police showing the party spent more than the £20,660 limit in his Essex constituency.
Everett claimed Reform failed to declare expenses for leaflets, banners, utility bills and the renovation of a bar at its Clacton campaign office. According to the Daily Telegraph.
The party’s official return report claims this falls just £400 below the spending limit set by electoral law, and that undeclared spending will rise above that limit. But he also said he thought Farage himself was “blissfully unaware”.
Giles Watling, who held the Conservative seat before Farage won the contest with more than 46% of the vote, said it was up to others to decide whether there was any illegality but that he felt Farage had gotten “more bang for his buck” during his campaign.
“It was a juggernaut, but it was also a situation where we had an influx of people coming from all over the country to support his bid for the seat,” added the former lawmaker, whose campaign fell short. He said there was no support from the Conservative Party’s headquarters, and Labor Party supporters sometimes offered support.
“Farage had a presidential-style campaign, showing up occasionally and holding rallies, while the campaign felt like he was always there. Now of course we know he’s in America a lot when I’m knocking on doors,” he added. The former MP said there were “millions” of Reform leaflets in his constituency.
“It really felt like a battle of David and Goliath, and to be honest, I felt overwhelmed. People can come, but the buses and electronic billboards have to be paid for.”
Watling said that as an actor he admired Farage’s skills as a communicator, but remained concerned about the direction in which Reformation was taking British politics.
Labor candidate Jovan Owusu-Nepaul said: “I knew from the early stages that I was in a bad place. It was clear when we saw the endless number of leaflets passing through people’s doors, the flashy banners and campaign vehicles put up every day.
“What do you do when you’re faced with a machine like that? To me, it’s about democracy. We can disagree and advocate for our own issues, but democracy is also about recognizing due process and being able to operate within the parameters of the contest.”
Tony Mack, who was originally a Reform candidate in Clacton but ran as an independent after accusing the party of reneging on a promise to give him “a very big role in the campaign”, said it was clear to him that his former party had spent more on the campaign than it had declared.
After the newsletter launch
“There was nothing Reform could do on the ground before Farage arrived. Absolutely nothing,” Mack said. He referred to Farage’s use of billboards and multiple ads in local newspaper Clacton Gazette.
“Between all this, plus the furnishing and use of a building that became headquarters, the venue rental, and the mail campaign, it was difficult to come under budget in my opinion,” he added.
A potential new debate for reform and its leader comes as Farage faces mounting pressure to apologize for allegations of racism told to the Guardian by 28 of his colleagues at Dulwich University.
Reform vehemently denied breaking the law on election spending. A Reform spokesman said: “These false allegations come from a disgruntled former councillor. The party denies breaking electoral law. We look forward to clearing our name.”
But Labor and the Conservatives said Farage had questions to answer about the allegations. Labor leader Anna Turley said: “Nigel Farage needs to reassure the public that he and his party will co-operate fully with the police and put all the evidence they need on the table.
“Electoral fraud is a very serious crime that fundamentally undermines our democracy. All MPs, including party leaders, must play by the rules so that all candidates can receive a fair public hearing.”




