Resident doctors call off four-day strike after new government offer
Junior doctors in England have called off a planned four-day strike after the government put forward a new proposal which will now be put forward for consideration by union members.
The strike, scheduled to begin at 7 a.m. on Monday, would mark the 16th round of the strike since 2023.
The British Medical Association (BMA) confirmed on Saturday that a last-minute offer had been received, leading to the decision to cancel the upcoming strike. This development prevents further disruption to NHS services, at least temporarily.
Chairman of the BMA’s resident doctors committee (RDC), Dr. Jack Fletcher expressed the union’s long-standing position on industrial action.
He stated: “We have always been clear that there is no need for any strike if we receive a suitable offer to present to our members.”

He added his disappointment at the timing: “This should not have been left to the last moment, but we will hold up our end of the bargain when the Government changes its position.”
Dr Fletcher reiterated doctors’ key demands: “All we want is a fair offer that provides enough jobs to tackle the mania for doctor unemployment and take steps to counter the erosion of our wages. Tens of thousands of frontline doctors will now vote in a referendum on whether this offer is enough.”
He concluded by emphasizing the BMA’s commitment to negotiation: “We will always negotiate in good faith and strikes are only a last resort in the face of the Government’s complete intransigence. When the Government acts, we act.”
Dr Fletcher warned that if the proposal was rejected by members, plans for “more intense action over the next month” would continue.
The proposal is understood to include standard 2016 resident doctor contract terms for all locally employed doctors and an average salary increase of 6.6% to be fully implemented by April 2027.
NHS England’s national medical director, Professor Frankie Swords, said the service was facing “triple pressure” as the planned strike coincided with hot weather and the World Cup.
Health Secretary James Murray said: “It is a positive and welcome development – especially for patients – that the BMA has called off these unnecessary strikes.”
He added that “the country cannot afford to increase the salary offer for this year” after a 28.9% pay rise for junior doctors in the last three years.




