Russell Brand charged with rape and sexual assault in new UK criminal case

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Russell Brand is facing new rape and sexual assault allegations overseas.
The UK Crown Prosecution Service has charged the comedian with one count of rape and one count of sexual assault against two women. according to police In a statement released on December 23. The alleged crimes occurred in 2009.
Brand currently faces five rape and sexual assault charges, of which he was indicted in April. The charges include one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
Russell Brand faces two new rape and sexual assault charges in UK (Getty Images)
The alleged incidents occurred between 1999 and 2005 and were reported by four different women.
RUSSELL BRAND ACCUSED OF RAPE AND SEXUAL ASSAULT
A representative for the brand did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.
Brand wished his followers a Merry Christmas by uploading a video to Instagram on December 23. He did not mention the new allegations against him, but said it was a “time of great darkness” and that he was grateful to participate in “change and transformation.”
“I feel very fortunate to have the opportunity to atone for the many things I have done wrong over the years and to help people understand the truth about my situation and scenario,” Brand said in the video.
He also prayed for all those he had “harmed or hurt” during the years of “recovery from foolishness and sin.”

Russell Brand was previously accused of rape and sexual assault in April. (Mike Marsland/WireImage)
Hours after news broke about the accusations against him in April, Brand took to social media to firmly deny any wrongdoing.
In a video posted on X, Brand thanked fans for their messages of support, then criticized the British government and legal system before directly addressing the accusations.
“I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but I was never a rapist.”
He explained: “Before I lived in the light of the Lord, I was a fool. I was a drug addict, a sex addict, and an imbecile, but I was never a rapist. I never engaged in non-consensual activities, I pray you can see that by looking into my eyes.”
DANNY MASTERSON REQUESTS NEW HEARING IN RAPE CASE, ALLEGED HIDING OF EVIDENCE AND BIASED INVESTIGATION BY LAPD
Brand added: “Of course, I will now have the opportunity to defend these charges in court, and for that I am incredibly grateful.”
He concluded his video by assuring his followers that he would continue to address the allegations against him.
Detectives began investigating Brand after the allegations were made public by UK media outlets Channel 4 and The Sunday Times in September 2023, police explained in a press release.
DO YOU LIKE WHAT YOU’RE READING? CLICK FOR MORE ENTERTAINMENT NEWS
Media organizations launched a joint investigation into the allegations long article It appears on the Times website and in an episode of Channel 4’s “Dispatches” documentary series called “Russell Brand: In Plain Sight.” Both included a number of anonymous complaints in which women accused Brand of physical and emotional abuse and bullying, as well as some cases of sexual assault.

Russell Brand has vehemently denied all allegations made against him. (Anthony Harvey/Getty Images)
Brand denied the allegations in a statement shortly after they were made public. video notification She shared on social media that their relationship was “always consensual.”
The actor explained that he had received several questions from media outlets regarding the “repetition of extremely horrific and offensive attacks”.
“Among these astonishing, quite baroque attacks, there are very serious allegations that I absolutely deny,” he said.
CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR THE ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
According to Brand, the encounters took place “over a random period” but were “always consensual.” He also noted that “he was always transparent about it at the time, almost too transparent, and I’m transparent about it now.”

Comedian Russell Brand is expected to appear in court on January 20. (Lester Cohen/Getty Images for the Recording Academy)
“Seeing the transparency that I absolutely deny turn into crime makes me ask the question: Is there another agenda at play?” he asked.
Brand is expected to appear in court again on January 20 on two new charges against him. A trial is planned for June next year and is expected to last four to five weeks.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION
Fox News Digital’s Emily Trainham and the Associated Press contributed to this report.



