Donald Trump urges restraint after Beirut strikes threaten Israel-Iran peace deal amid Lebanon tensions

Israel’s launch of new attacks on Hezbollah targets in Beirut, prompting warnings from Iran and calls for moderation from US President Donald Trump, has thrown the fragile effort for peace in the Middle East into doubt.
Clouds of smoke rose over Lebanon’s capital on Sunday as emergency crews searched through the rubble. Lebanon Civil Defense said three bodies were found and six people were injured in the attacks.
The latest violence comes as negotiators try to finalize a US-backed deal aimed at ending months of conflict between Iran and Israel.
Mr. Trump tried to calm tensions by posting on social media, “We are very close to an agreement that will bring peace to the region.”
“Let’s not waste it!”
Speaking later to Fox News, the President said he was confident an agreement could be signed within a few hours and said he would urge Tehran not to retaliate for Israel’s latest military action.
The resulting agreement disappointed Israel, which was largely excluded from negotiations led by Pakistan and regional intermediaries.
A similar Israeli attack on the southern suburbs of Beirut last week triggered the most serious tensions between Iran and Israel since a ceasefire took effect on April 7 and raised concerns that new military intervention could derail diplomatic progress.
Mr. Trump repeatedly called on Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to avoid major operations in Lebanon while negotiations continued, but Israel pressed ahead.
Netanyahu’s office said Sunday’s attacks were carried out in response to Hezbollah’s attacks on northern Israel.
The Israeli military said Hezbollah fired three missiles into Israeli territory and released images showing the attack. Hezbollah did not immediately comment on the allegations.
Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz said in their statement: “Israel will not tolerate firing on its own territory.”
The Israeli military later warned that preparations were being made against the possibility of further attacks in the coming hours.
An Associated Press reporter at the scene reported that a five-story apartment building with shops on the ground floor was hit, and the lower floors were heavily damaged. People living in nearby suburbs were seen leaving the area out of fear of new strikes.
The conflict expanded dramatically in March when Hezbollah launched missiles at Israel, two days after U.S. and Israeli attacks on Iran triggered a broader regional war.
Since then, Israeli forces have advanced deeper into Lebanon for more than 25 years.
Iran has insisted that any ceasefire agreement must also address the conflict in Lebanon.
Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammed Bagir Qalibaf, who played a key role in the negotiations, made a warning after the attacks.
“If you lack the will and ability to fulfill your commitments, it is not possible to continue on your path.”
Senior Iranian military official General Mohammad Jafar Asadi also vowed retaliation.
“Without a doubt, these crimes will not remain unanswered,” said General Mohammad Jafar Asadi, deputy commander of Iran’s Joint Command Headquarters, the official Mizan news agency reported.
Diplomatic efforts continued behind the scenes, with Qatari mediators arriving in Tehran on Sunday to finalize details of the proposed deal, according to regional officials.
Participants in the talks expressed cautious optimism that a breakthrough was near that would end a conflict that has potentially claimed thousands of lives and restart shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global trade route disrupted by the war.
While Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif said that the agreement is expected to be signed on Sunday, the Iranian foreign ministry stated that the agreement could be completed in a few days.
Mr. Trump said the Strait of Hormuz would reopen immediately after the signing.
The agreement is expected to be signed electronically, but officials have not announced when the official process will take place.
While the deal would mark a significant diplomatic breakthrough, it leaves unresolved several key disputes between Washington and Tehran, including Iran’s nuclear ambitions and access to billions of dollars in frozen assets.
The agreement would instead establish a 60-day framework for further negotiations on these issues, according to officials familiar with the talks.
The stakes are still high.
The International Atomic Energy Agency estimates that Iran currently has 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent purity; Experts say this level is only a short technical step away from weapons-grade enrichment of 90 percent.
-with AP


