google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Rwanda-backed M23 rebels claim withdrawal from Uvira as peace talks struggle

GOMA, Congo (AP) — Rwanda-backed M23 rebels began withdrawing from the city of Uvira in eastern Congo late Wednesday night, according to the rebel group’s leader and local officials.

M23 leader Bertrand Bisimwa told The Associated Press by phone that the withdrawal would be completed by Thursday morning.

“We said we would withdraw. Our statement is clear. That’s what we’re doing,” Bisimwa said.

Received M23 Control of the city last week following a swift offensive launched at the beginning of the month. more than that 400 people were killed Regional officials say about 200,000 people have been displaced.

of the rebels last attack Coming despite US mediation peace agreement signed earlier this month By the Congolese and Rwandan presidents in Washington.

Residents shared conflicting reports about the withdrawal situation.

Kelvin Bwija, coordinator of Congolese civil society in Uvira, said M23 troops were advancing towards the northern town of Kamanyola.

Bwija also claimed that pro-government militias known as Wazelendo had begun approaching the city, but the AP could not confirm this.

When asked who would take control of the city following the withdrawal of his forces, Bisimwa said the responsibility fell on the mediators and that M23 “requested a neutral force and we believe that those who asked us to withdraw could deploy them very quickly.”

A spokesman for South Kivu’s governor said late Wednesday night that he could not confirm the withdrawal.

USA was accused last week rwanda for violating the agreement by supporting New rebel advance in mineral-rich eastern Congoand warned that the Trump administration would take action against “spoilers” of the agreement.

The agreement did not include the rebel group, which negotiated separately with Congo and reached an agreement. ceasefire earlier this year both sides accuse each other of violations. However, the agreement requires Rwanda to cease its support for armed groups such as M23 and work to end hostilities.

Rebel advance towards Uvira brings conflict to neighboring countries’ doorstep BurundiIt has maintained troops in eastern Congo for years, raising fears of a wider regional expansion.

Nearly 64,000 refugees from Congo have arrived in Burundi since the beginning of the month, according to the UN Refugee Agency. There are also reports of artillery shells hitting the town of Rugombo on the Burundi side of the border.

Congo, US and UN experts accuses Rwanda of supporting M23Growing from hundreds of members to nearly 6,500 fighters in 2021, according to the UN

More than 100 armed groups are vying for a foothold in mineral-rich eastern Congo, near the Rwandan border, most notably the M23. The conflict has created one of the world’s most significant humanitarian crises, with more than 7 million people displaced. To the UN Refugee Agency.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button