google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Bondi Beach shooting LIVE updates: Heartbreak continues as the 14th victim is identified – as the chilling passport photos used by the alleged terrorists on a trip to the Philippines are revealed

A father-of-four has been confirmed as the 14th victim in the devastating Bondi Beach terrorist attack.

Adam Smyth, 50, was walking on the beach with his wife on Sunday evening when they found themselves in the middle of the shooting.

Other victims included British-born Chabad Rabbi Eli Schlanger, 41, Rabbi Yaakov Levitan, 39, French national Dan Elkayam, 27, Wellington Street synagogue assistant Reuven Morrison, Slovak citizen Marika Pogany, 82, retired NSW Police detective sergeant Peter Meagher, 61, Edith Brutman, Boris Gurman, 69, and his wife Sofia, 61, and Soviet immigrant Boris Tetleroyd.

It comes as the passport photos of alleged gunmen Naveed Akram, 24, and his 50-year-old father, Sajid, were shared online on Thursday. 

The passports were used during their trip to the Philippines just weeks before the attack, sparking concerns they were meeting with Islamist extremists.

It comes after Naveed Akram has been charged with 59 offences at his hospital bedside on Wednesday.

They include 15 counts of murder and 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder.

He did not appear or apply for bail during a brief bedside court hearing and the case was adjourned until April. 

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has also announced reforms to crack down on hate speech following the incident, including targeting hate preachers. 

He is yet to attend any funerals, including that of 10-year-old Matilda, Holocaust survivor Alex Kleytman, 87, and Tibor Weitzen, 78, who will be farewelled later today. 

Bondi resident identified as 14th victim

Beloved father-of-four Adam Smyth has been confirmed as one of the victims of the Bondi Beach massacre.

‘We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Adam Smyth, 50, father of four children and husband to Katrina,’ his family said in a statement via NSW Police.

‘Adam and Katrina were walking at Bondi Beach on Sunday evening when they found themselves in the middle of the horrific and devastating attack.

‘We are all trying to come to terms with the senseless shooting, of which Adam was a victim.

‘No words can describe the pain of our loss.’

The family wrote that Adam and Katrina were ‘living their best lives together’, with a shared love of family and friends, travel and sport – if not always the same team.

‘Adam’s loves in life were his English Premier League football team Liverpool, his AFL team the Sydney Swans, the NRL’s Manly Sea Eagles and his beloved pets,` they said.

‘We will forever cherish the time we have had with him. Adam was a generous and kind person who will be dearly missed and is forever irreplaceable.

‘You’ll never walk alone (YNWA).’

Adam Smyth - Approved photograph

Passport photos of Sajid and Naveed Akram revealed

The passports used by the alleged Bondi Beach attackers for their mysterious trip to the Philippines have emerged online.

The images of Sajid Akram’s Indian passport and his 24-year-old son Naveed’s Australian passport were posted on X on Thursday morning.

‘Officials stated that the attackers used exact passports to travel Philippines and other countries,’ the user claimed.

It was revealed earlier this week the par had visited the country just weeks before the attack, sparking concerns they were meeting with Islamist extremists.

Australian authorities are probing Naveed and Sajid’s alleged links to Islamic extremism after explosives and homemade IS flags were found in a car registered to Naveed at the scene of the shooting.

15393429 - Passports of the Bondi shooters - Naveed Akram, Sajid Akram
15393429 - Passports of the Bondi shooters - Naveed Akram, Sajid Akram

Hordes of people seen photographing site of the massacre

People have been seen taking photos and walking across the doomed footbridge used by alleged gunmen who shot into a crowd gathered to celebrate Hanukkah.

On the day of the attack, multiple videos posted to social media showed two figures standing on a footbridge connecting Campbell Parade to the Bondi Pavilion.

Police had closed the area during their investigation, but it was reopened to the public earlier today.

By this afternoon, crowds of people were spotted on the bridge pausing to take in the horror of what unfolded just a few days earlier, some even taking out their phones to snap a picture.

A general view as the crime scene is reopened to the public at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts) NO ARCHIVING
People are seen at the footbridge used by the father-and-son gunmen during the December 14 Bondi Beach shooting, in Sydney on December 18, 2025. The attack at Bondi Beach on December 14 was one of the deadliest in Australian history. (Photo by DAVID GRAY / AFP via Getty Images)
A general view as the crime scene is reopened to the public at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts) NO ARCHIVING

Ley: ‘Not the time for excuses’

Opposition Leader Sussan Ley has demanded Prime Minister Anthony Albanese recall parliament in the wake of the Bondi Beach massacre.

‘Australians watching their prime minister today are angry. This is not the time for excuses,’ she told reporters.

‘I don’t have faith in the prime minister.

‘This is the prime minister who is allowing a self-managed return of ISIS members.

‘We call on the prime minister to immediately recall, bring back the parliament to pass legislation to eradicate antisemitism and to strengthen Australia’s counter-terrorism laws.’

Ley also claimed Albanese’s five sweeping changes to address hate-driven violence in Australia should have been announced two years ago.

The measures include a new aggravated hate speech offence targeting preachers and community leaders who incite violence, as well as tougher penalties for hate speech that actively encourages violent acts.

Bondi Beach shooting LIVE updates: Heartbreak continues as the 14th victim is identified - as the chilling passport photos used by the alleged terrorists on a trip to the Philippines are revealed 15393429

During the press conference, Ley announced a series of plans to tackle antisemitism in Australia.

This includes giving powers to the immigration minister to refuse visas on the grounds of antisemitism.

She also said the Coalition would pass laws to give effect to special envoy Jillian Segal’s plan to tackle antisemitism.

‘In the arts, we will legislate a no-funding trigger to terminate funding agreements made under the Creative Australia Act 2023, where the funding supports antisemitic activities,’ she said.

‘The Coalition will move to strengthen the Australian Citizenship Act, currently allowing the minister for immigration to apply to a court to cancel the citizenship of dual citizens, to cover a wider range of terrorist-related conduct such as overseas military-style training and the committing of hate crimes outlawed under the Criminal Code.’

A heartbroken woman has claimed Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has ‘blood on his hands’ outside a funeral for the youngest victim of the Bondi Beach shooting.

With an Australian flag draped over her shoulder, Chana Friedman said Albanese ‘must resign’ in an emotional interview outside the funeral of 10-year-old Matilda.

Asked whether there was a place for the Prime Minister at the ceremony, Ms Friedman sobbed: ‘No, because he has that girl’s blood on his hands.’

‘You’re all going to celebrate Christmas very soon, right? Jesus was a Jew. He would have looked like a rabbi that was killed last week,’ she told a reporter at the scene.

‘We have all failed her…she’s this ray of sunshine. Her friends describe her as the most friendly, most beautiful, happy child.’

When asked about his response to antisemitism earlier today, Albanese said the government could have ‘always done more’.

‘Of course more could have always been done. Governments aren’t perfect. I’m not perfect. We have engaged in a constructive way,’ he told reporters.

Victims’ funerals to be paid for by government

A joint federal and state funding package has been confirmed for those affected by the horrific shooting at Bondi Beach.

NSW Treasurer Daniel Mookhey told The Sydney Morning Herald victims and families of those who were killed would receive $75,000.

The government will cover funeral and burial arrangements.

He said Jewish community organisations will receive $2 million to support victims’ families.

Six recovery officers will also work with families under a $3.6 million package.

Small businesses close to where the terror attack took place can also receive a maximum of $25,000 via grants.

Mookhey is providing about $1 million each to Legal Aid and Disaster Response Legal Services, Jewish organisations providing mental health support, and Waverley Council.

There will also be a $1.5 million boost will be provided for security at Jewish community locations.

Premier Chris Minns wears kippah out of respect at funeral for Tibor Weitzen

Mourners have gathered to honour grandfather Tibor Weitzen at the Chabad of Bondi synagogue.

Mr Weitzen, who was born in the Soviet Union, died trying to shield a friend from bullets during the Bondi Beach shooting.

The 78-year-old has been remembered as the ‘lolly man’ because he gave sweets to children to keep them quiet during events.

Among the crowds entering the memorial, NSW Premier Chris Minns could be seen being patted down by security while wearing a kippah as a mark of respect.

NSW Opposition leader Kelly Sloane was also in attendance.

There was a large security presence at the site, with some officers accompanied by police dogs.

15383345 Beloved father identified as victim of Bondi Beach shooting after he was fatally wounded while trying to protect his wifeTibor Weitzen
NSW Premier Chris Minns arrives  at the funeral service for Tibor Weitzen at Chabad of Bondi in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins) NO ARCHIVING
A large police presence is seen  at the funeral service for Tibor Weitzen at Chabad of Bondi in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins) NO ARCHIVING
A large police presence is seen  at the funeral service for Tibor Weitzen at Chabad of Bondi in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dean Lewins) NO ARCHIVING

Protester escorted out of Bondi Pavilion memorial

A Jewish man has been escorted from Bondi Beach by police after allegedly yelling ‘anti-Zionism is the problem’ at a memorial.

NSW mayors were placing wreaths at the pavilion when the man made the claim that people were ‘pretending Zionism is a problem’ while standing in the crowd.

He also said he was ‘frustrated at seeing council staff’ at the memorial.

‘These poor people are grieving and the councils come along having done nothing for two years,’ he said.

Bloodied and bandaged Bondi victim returns to the beach for the first time since the massacre

Arsen Ostrovsky, an international human rights lawyer, was out with his family alongside hundreds of other people when shots started ringing out at Bondi.

A photo of him bloodied and bandaged quickly went viral on social media.

Mr Ostrovsky visited the flower memorial at Bondi Beach for the first time on Thursday after he was hospitalised for his injuries.

He previously revealed that his survuval at Bondi came after he lived through the horrors of Hamas’s massacre at the Nova music festival in Israel.

‘I lived through October 7th. Never imagined I’d see this horror in Australia,’ he said.

‘Bullet grazed my head. Doctors said it was a miracle I survived, but I will make a recovery.’

Drew Pavlou ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿¿@DrewPavlouMy Twitter friend @Ostrov_A was shot in the head but survived
Shooting survivor Arsen Ostrovsky addresses media at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts) NO ARCHIVING
Shooting survivor Arsen Ostrovsky reacts looking at floral tributes at Bondi Beach in Sydney, Thursday, December 18, 2025. Australia is in mourning after gunmen opened fire on Bondi Beach, killing 15 people in an attack designed to target the Jewish community. (AAP Image/Dan Himbrechts) NO ARCHIVING

‘She’s waltzing with the angels’: Matilda remembered by loved ones, Minns

A rabbi has read a statement on behalf of Matilda’s school community as emotions ran high at he funeral on Thursday.

The 10-year-old was remembered as ‘genuinely the most caring, kind, compassionate young girl, who brightened everyone’s day’.

They recalled how Matilda was stunned to win a language award at school just days before the Bondi Beach massacre.

‘Her smile was shining brighter than ever,’ they said of the special moment.

NSW Premier Chris Minns read a poem, Ode to Matilda, at the service.

‘From darkness they struck to where candles glowed bright. A child of celebration was lost to terror’s night,’ she said.

‘Yet in the harshest sorrow, her memory will shine, a beacon of her love though her earthly light has gone.

‘She bore the name Matilda, to honour this great land, Australia’s heart and spirit, forever hand in hand.’

Matilda’s small white coffin was later seen being carried out of the funeral home as mourners watched in silence.

Mourners carry out the coffin of 10-year-old Matilda, who was killed in the December 14 Bondi Beach shooting attack, after the funeral service in Sydney on December 18, 2025. The attack at Bondi Beach on December 14 was one of the deadliest in Australian history. (Photo by Saeed KHAN / AFP via Getty Images)
Mourners leave after the funeral service for 10-year-old Matilda, who was killed in the December 14 Bondi Beach shooting attack, in Sydney on December 18, 2025. Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese promised a sweeping crackdown on "hate, division and radicalisation" on December 18 after a mass shooting killed 15 people at a Jewish festival on Bondi Beach. (Photo by Saeed KHAN / AFP via Getty Images)
Mourners hug after the funeral service for 10-year-old Matilda, who was killed in the December 14 Bondi Beach shooting attack, in Sydney on December 18, 2025. Australia's Prime Minister Anthony Albanese promised a sweeping crackdown on "hate, division and radicalisation" on December 18 after a mass shooting killed 15 people at a Jewish festival on Bondi Beach. (Photo by Saeed KHAN / AFP via Getty Images)

Anthony Albanese admits: ‘I’m not perfect’

Anthony Albanese has admitted his government could have done more to combat rising antisemitisim in the wake of the horror Bondi Beach massacre.

‘Look, of course more could have always been done,’ he told reporters.

‘Governments aren’t perfect. I’m not perfect.’

The Prime Minister has unveiled a series of major reforms to combat hate speech, division, and radicalisation following the attack on Sunday.

He announced the National Security Committee has approved five sweeping changes to address hate-driven violence in Australia.

The measures include a new aggravated hate speech offence targeting preachers and community leaders who incite violence, as well as tougher penalties for hate speech that actively encourages violent acts.

Hate will also become an aggravating factor in sentencing for online threats and harassment, ensuring offenders face stiffer consequences.

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese speaks during an interfaith memorial service for the victims of the shooting at a Hanukkah event at Bondi Beach, at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney, Australia, December 17, 2025. REUTERS/Hollie Adams

The PM is pictured speaking at an interfaith memeorial service on Wednesday.

Bondi starts to reopen after horror shooting

The crime scene at Bondi Beach has been lifted, which means the area is no longer closed to the public.

NSW Police had cordoned off Archer Park and the surrounding areas after the horrific shooting on Sunday.

The operation concluded about 11.15am today following an ‘extensive examination and analysis of the site’, police said.

Motorists can now return to collect their vehicles.

Queen Elizabeth Drive carpark and southbound lanes of Campbell Parade will remain closed until further notice.

‘Police would like to thank the community for their patience while the crime scene was in place,’ a statement said.

‘Police will remain in the Bondi area to support the community.’

TOPSHOT - Police officers remove police tape from the scene of Sunday's shooting at Bondi Beach, in Sydney on December 17, 2025. Police charged alleged Bondi killer Naveed Akram with terrorism, 15 counts of murder and a litany of other crimes after Australia's worst mass shooting in decades. (Photo by DAVID GRAY / AFP via Getty Images)
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 18: Mercedes Pereyra visits Bondi Beach during sunrise, on December 18, 2025 in Sydney, Australia. Police say at least 16 people, including one suspected gunman, were killed and more than 40 others injured when two attackers opened fire near a Hanukkah celebration at the world-famous Bondi Beach, in what authorities have declared a terrorist incident. The government is moving to tighten gun laws across the country. (Photo by Audrey Richardson/Getty Images)
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA - DECEMBER 18: People visit Bondi Beach during sunrise, on December 18, 2025 in Sydney, Australia. Police say at least 16 people, including one suspected gunman, were killed and more than 40 others injured when two attackers opened fire near a Hanukkah celebration at the world-famous Bondi Beach, in what authorities have declared a terrorist incident. The government is moving to tighten gun laws across the country. (Photo by Audrey Richardson/Getty Images)
epa12599566 Members of the public are seen at a makeshift memorial following a shooting at Bondi Beach, in Sydney, Australia, 18 December 2025.  Australia is in mourning following an attack on the Jewish community's Hanukkah festival celebrations on 14 December that left at least 16 people dead, including one gunman.  EPA/MICK TSIKAS AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND OUT

A flower memorial is seen at Bondi Pavilion on Thursday

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button