google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
UK

Southampton kicked out of play-offs: Justice or harsh decision?

Some Southampton fans hoped that the true details of the spying incident involving Middlesbrough could help ensure some leniency in penalties.

The spy, named Southampton analyst trainee William Salt, is said to have parked at the golf club, then walked a few hundred meters along a path to an elevated field.

Sources told the BBC that the defendant kept pointing at his mobile phone while wearing earbuds during training.

Middlesbrough staff believe he broadcast the session live via a video call.

Southampton supporter Cameron said he expected exclusion from the play-offs was a strong possibility but thought a four-point deduction for next season was too much.

“I was shocked, to be honest,” he told BBC Radio Solent.

“I mean, we knew from what was going on that the punishment was going to be severe.

“After seeing what the picture was really like with just an iPhone AirPods, we thought, OK, it might not be that bad, but getting kicked out of the play-offs and a four-point deduction seems too harsh.”

Fellow Saints fan Chris Jewell added: “I think it’s a bit unfair.

“I know we did wrong, but how can they stop this when we’ve sold so many tickets and people have already made bus reservations? I’m absolutely gutted about this.”

Speaking to the BBC outside the club’s Riverside Stadium on Tuesday, Middlesbrough fans were understandably happy.

Supporter and podcaster Jimmy Lees said: “This would be grossly unfair to the ethics of the game of football.

“If Southampton could play in the final on Saturday, what example would that set for everyone else in football? Is it worth cheating to gain that unfair advantage?”

“Fortunately the EFL stood firm, handed down their punishment and kicked Southampton out of the final. Now Middlesbrough have a chance to play Hull and get promoted to the Premier League.”

Fellow fan Chris Saunders added: “I’m surprised. These things don’t happen to Boro; we’re used to having our hopes dashed and bitter disappointment. I expected them to get away with it and get a big fine.”

There will be some disappointment for Hull as the team had been preparing to face one opponent but will now face a different opponent with just three days left in training.

Before the decision was announced, Hull City assistant manager Dean Holden told Monday Night Club that the club would be prepared for any eventuality.

“If anything changes in the next few days, we will have to adapt,” he said.

“Obviously going into such a big event there will be a lot of emotion, a lot of nervous energy and the important thing for us is for the players to go out there and not think too much.

“We adapted well to the teams we played against, the injuries, and found ways to win.”

According to BBC Radio Humberside sports editor Mike White, there is still a lot of uncertainty given Southampton’s appeal.

“There will be questions about whether Hull City have taken their legal position into account throughout this whole process because they have been put in a position where they have given Middlebsrough several days’ notice to prepare,” he said.

“But I think there are a lot of good professionals at Hull City. I would be surprised if they didn’t do some sort of study, preparation or planning for Middlesbrough to be their rivals. After all, in the public eye they were given three days’ notice to prepare for Middlesbrough. So would they take their legal situation into consideration?

“I hope they get to the final, they win the final and in that sense justice has been done. It’s a dirty, terrible and not a nice situation for anyone to be in. Southampton made their bed and had to lie there.”

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button