google.com, pub-8701563775261122, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0
USA

Italian, Canadian foreign nationals robbed, beaten in settler attack in Jericho

“They stole my passport, my phone, my wallet, my bank cards and then they left,” one of the alleged victims said, describing the beating.

Four foreign nationals who were reportedly attacked by a group of extremist settlers on Saturday night were hospitalized, according to government officials and alleged victims of the attack.

One of the victims, three foreign nationals who were Italian and the fourth a Canadian citizen, was being treated at a hospital in Jericho on Sunday, he said. Agence France-Presse.

“Three Italian international volunteers were attacked last night. Israeli settlersThe Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed this in a statement, adding that the group was “still in shock” from the incident.

The four injured foreign nationals were “activists,” according to WAFA, which is run by the Palestinian Authority.

A photo taken by drone shows the Aqabat Jabr refugee camp in Jericho, West Bank, on January 18, 2021. (Source: AMMAR AWAD/REUTERS)

“Four strangers came to the hospital this morning after being beaten. settlersAccording to them,” said Riyad Eid, director of Jericho public hospital. AFP. “Some of them had bruises on their faces and chests, and one of them had been beaten in a sensitive area.

“They were examined, X-rays and ultrasounds were taken, the necessary treatments were given and then they were discharged.”

One of the unnamed activists told AFP that 10 settlers attacked them while they were sleeping in the Duyuk area.

He said two of the 10 settlers were armed and the others were armed with sticks.

“They kicked me in the face, ribs and hip many times,” he said. “It took about 10-15 minutes. Then they took everything. They stole my passport, my phone, my wallet, my bank cards and then they left.

“We had to get x-rays and take painkillers. Our friend was beaten more severely than us.”

Qatar-run Al Jazeera broadcast images of the activists’ wounds, with visible bruises and cuts on their faces.

Authorities condemn West Bank settler attack on foreign nationals

“They are injured, but their condition is not serious; they are returning to Ramallah and they should be reached this afternoon,” Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani told local media on Sunday afternoon. he said.

“However, we cannot help but reiterate our condemnation of what is happening: just the other day we issued a joint statement from Italy, France, Germany and the UK condemning what settlers are doing in the West Bank.”

Tajani added La Repubblica “The idea of ​​annexation should not be allowed. We are absolutely against it: the Palestinian civilian population must be respected. Attacks on Christian villages are extremely serious, not because Christians have more rights than other Palestinians, but because they represent an element of stability and moderation in the Middle East.”

“We also call on the Israeli government to stop the settlers and prevent the continuation of this violence, which serves no purpose in achieving the peace plan we have all worked for,” he added. “We have to move from phase one to phase two, and initiatives like this certainly don’t help calm people’s morale.”

In a joint statement on Thursday, Germany, Italy, France and Britain called on Israel to comply with international law and protect Palestinians on its territory.

“We, France, Germany, Italy and the United Kingdom, strongly condemn the major increase in settler violence against Palestinian civilians and call for stability in the West Bank,” the foreign ministers of these countries said in a statement. they said.

One of the four activists was put on bed rest for three days, while the others were discharged from the hospital. La Repubblica reported.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button