14-year-old California boy killed in DUI hit-and-run; illegal immigrant charged

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
FIRST ON FOX: Fox News has learned that a man charged in the death of a 14-year-old Southern California high school student killed in a drunken-driving hit-and-run crash this month is an illegal immigrant from Mexico who had been arrested twice before for drunken driving in California.
However, he remained in the country due to the Biden administration’s immigration policies.
Jose Abelardo Villegas-Orbe, 47, an illegal Mexican citizen, is charged with vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated and drunken hit-and-run causing death.
Liam Cantu, 14, a freshman at La Quinta High School, was hit by a car while riding his bike with another teenager on Oct. 10.
Mexican citizen Jose Abelardo Villegas-Orbe is charged with the teenager’s death. (Fox News)
MULTI-FATAL ACCIDENTS RELATED TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS HAVE LIVED TO ARRESTS IN THE USA IN RECENT DAYS
According to a statement from La Quinta High School, he died in the hospital on October 24.
According to local sources, the other young man, whose identity was not publicly disclosed, was hospitalized after the accident and was later released. News Channel 3.

Liam Cantu, 14, a freshman at La Quinta High School, was shot while riding his bike on Oct. 10. He later died in hospital. (via @lqhsblackhawks Instagram)
WHITE HOUSE SAYS CALIFORNIA GRANTED LICENSE TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT TRUCKER ACCUSED IN FATAL DUI CRASH
Multiple federal law enforcement sources told Fox that Villegas-Orbe was arrested for drunken driving in August 2024 and November 2024 in Riverside County, California.
But because DUI arrests are misdemeanors, sources said they do not meet the Biden administration’s immigration enforcement priorities.

Liam Cantu, 14, a freshman at La Quinta High School, died after the crash on October 10. (Google Maps)
FLORIDA AG ANNOUNCES INVESTIGATION INTO STATIONARY JURISDICTIONS LICENSING TRUCKS TO ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS
No charges were filed against Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detainees at the time, meaning no effort was made to deport Villegas-Orbe following the arrests.
Sources said ICE has submitted a detainer request to local law enforcement for an arrest in the fatal hit-and-run.
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FOX NEWS APPLICATION
California’s sanctuary state law likely would not allow any cooperation even if Villegas-Orbe were granted bail.
“We remember his smile, his laughter, and the energy he brought to every venue,” La Quinta High School wrote in an Instagram post. “We remember Liam today and always. His spirit will forever be a part of our school family.”



