First woman confirmed as Archbishop of Canterbury vows to speak out on misogyny

The first female Archbishop of Canterbury has vowed to speak out on misogyny as her new role as presiding bishop of the Church of England is confirmed.
Dame Sarah Mullally attended a ceremony at St Paul’s Cathedral to legally confirm her as the 106th person to hold the post, after being named the first woman to hold the post in October.
Before the service, he expressed that he hoped to lead with “calm, consistency and compassion” during what he described as “times of division and uncertainty for our fractured world.”
The speeches were briefly interrupted by a heckler, reportedly in religious garb, who was escorted out of the cathedral, but his words were not immediately clear.
Archbishop of York Stephen Cottrell said he had been given a “full opportunity” to lodge legal objections but none had been accepted so the process would continue.
Although technically the King is the head of the Church of England, the person who takes on the role of Archbishop of Canterbury is the most senior bishop and the spiritual leader of the Church and the worldwide Anglican Communion.
In an interview as she took up her new role, Dame Sarah shared her gratitude for “the support of so many people, including men in my ministry.”
But the former nursing officer for England added: “It is fair to say that I have experienced misogyny from time to time, both in my secular role and in the Church.”
He said he’s learned over the years that it needs to be talked about, so “you get it out in the open.”
Last year, speaking at the Church’s General Synod, known as parliament, her voice cracked with emotion as she talked about the “institutional barriers” and “micro-aggressions” women continue to face in the Church.
Asked this week about misogyny in the Church, she said: “I am conscious that being in this role it is important for me to talk about it, because there are some who do not have the status or power of this role and are more hesitant to do so.
“But certainly as the Church of England we have seen many changes over the years and I am committed to creating a safer environment for all where all people can thrive.”
Dame Sarah, who has been Bishop of London for almost a decade, said that “people have always understood that it might be difficult for me to be ordained as a woman in the Church, and what I hope to do is to be able to provide a space where I can offer people hospitality, listen to their concerns and find a way in which we can at least partner together in some sense in that way.”
He had previously been open about his support for the approval of same-sex blessings in the Church, but in his new role he appeared reticent to offer his personal view on independent blessing services for same-sex couples; This is an issue on which the Church is divided.
He said: “I think my duty now as Archbishop of Canterbury is to listen to what the Synod has to say on this issue and to continue to maintain the space within the Church of England where there are a variety of different views on this issue.”
Those gathered at St Paul’s service – including bishops and clergy, local schoolchildren and those from across the Church and the Anglican Communion – heard that Dame Sarah had “stepped into history” as the first woman to hold a senior ministerial post.
Between the ceremony at St Paul’s and her installation at Canterbury Cathedral, Dame Sarah will meet Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer and leaders of other Christian denominations and other faiths in the UK.
He will also meet Charles at some point in the intervening period to show his customary respect for the King.
On Sunday, she was photographed talking to Charles after preaching at a service at Sandringham Manor.
He did not preach at Wednesday’s service and is not expected to do so before its installation in March, but he will deliver the presidential address to the General Synod, the Church’s parliament, in London in February.
Dame Sarah, appointed last year, had vowed to tackle safeguarding failures in the Church, saying “power dynamics” needed to be confronted.
He replaced Justin Welby as the Church’s top minister after he resigned more than a year ago over failures to protect him in the handling of the notorious case of prolific abuser and Christian camp leader John Smyth.
Earlier this month a complaint against Dame Sarah over her handling of an allegation of abuse against a priest in the Diocese of London by a survivor known as N was dismissed, but it is understood the complainant may appeal the decision.
Dame Sarah was described by Joanne Grenfell, the Church’s presiding bishop for safeguarding, as having “a full commitment to safeguarding, strengthening systems and processes and developing culture within a large, complex organisation”.
Ms Grenfell said the “review was correct” but that Dame Sarah should be “given the space to lead as we seek to create a safer Church serving communities across England”.
Mr Cottrell, who led the Church in the period between Mr Welby’s resignation and Dame Sarah’s official new appointment, praised her for having “clarity of thought, wisdom, grace and holiness”, which he said was “what the Church needs right now”.




